Help! Model 21 RADIO speaker problem

JKent

Help!

I bought a Model 21 radio because it looks like my Model 18 tuner and I thought it was cool. Thought I would fix it up, but I'm not a technician. The wood needs some attention, the knobs don't match. No problem. Here are the problems:

1. Speaker cloth. I didn't realize it was plastic, and this one has a little hole in it. Any suggestions for replacement?

2. This is the big problem--the speaker buzzes at higher volume or when the bass is turned up. I opened up the box and looked at the speaker, and I don't see any holes or tears. Don't know what the surround should look like, but it appears intact. I can see the speaker fluttering in and out when I get that rattling distortion.

Any suggestions? Am I right in assuming it is a speaker problem? Thanks

Guest russwollman

About the plastic grille cloth—I have seen on one website a selection of plastic coated grille cloth. Have a look here: http://www.new-foam.com/fabric1.asp. They offer a sample pack for $5.

About the rattling speaker: voice coil shot? something loose in there? physically broken?

Old stuff can be lots of fun. Someday you should try restoring a 40+ year-old electric fan. I did a couple. One still works fine. But a while back something went "SNAP" on the other. Then oil started dripping out of the gizmo that enables it to oscillate. I did not investigate.

A newer all-plastic fan I have is silent; the old ones have more charm. And it's funny to examine them both and wonder why it took so many years for them to figure out how to run the cord so it's hidden except for where it leaves the body, and how to make a guard inviolable by human fingers. Were they trying to create an entire generation of fingerless children?

"How did you lose that finger, Daddy?"

"Well, son, your grandma had this big old electric fan, and one day..."

>

>Old stuff can be lots of fun. Someday you should try restoring

>a 40+ year-old electric fan. I did a couple. One still works

>fine. But a while back something went "SNAP" on the

>other. Then oil started dripping out of the gizmo that enables

>it to oscillate. I did not investigate.

>

>A newer all-plastic fan I have is silent; the old ones have

>more charm. And it's funny to examine them both and wonder why

>it took so many years for them to figure out how to run the

>cord so it's hidden except for where it leaves the body, and

>how to make a guard inviolable by human fingers. Were they

>trying to create an entire generation of fingerless children?

Getting way off base here... old electric fans (Emerson, especially) are not unlike AR and KLH speakers: definitely interesting, well-made and challenging to restore. I think the advent of effective and safe fan-blade guards came about more due to legislation-mandates than safety features offered by the manufacturers. Restoring a KLH Six is safer and probably more rewarding in the long run. You could hurt your hearing, but that is about the only true hazzard to an old pair of Sixes.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1416.jpg

1940 Emerson Model 77648AN 16-inch fan

Guest russwollman

Staying on base is a genuine challenge for me.

Funny you should have posted a photo of that fan. Someone moved out of my building and left that very fan behind. The guys who refinish floors for me call it a "granny" fan. And man, does it moves air—not unlike a large woofer at full tilt. And I think it will run until the end of time. I'm not about to tinker with it. It works just fine.

Everyone should have a loyal fan...

>Staying on base is a genuine challenge for me.

Well, just to get back on base...Those places that sell the plastic cloth seem to only sell BIG pieces, so I decided to patch the hole. Here's a picture. If you look at the darker disk where the speaker is, at about 5 o'clock, you can see the patch. Not too bad. The cabinet finished up nicely and I had the original type knobs. That rattling sound in the speaker was caused by an output cap (many thanks John). Not being a technician, I took a chance and replaced the only cap that I thought I could successfully remove and replace--a big ol' 2000 uF sucker. Found a close-enough (2200 uF) cap in the local electronics shop for 3 bucks and after a little soldering....it works! Looks good and sounds good! :-)

post-101828-1152670706.jpg

Archived