KLH 18 Tuner died! Suggestions?

JKent

I just pulled out my KLH Model 18 tuner that has been sitting in the attic for maybe 20 years (ever since I replaced it with a Carver TX-11). It worked when I put it away but now ...nothing. No light, tuning needle does not budge, not even static when I hook it up to my stereo. Thought it might be a fuse, but the label is right: "no user serviceable parts inside." Anyway, I DID find a fuse but it is soldered in place. Used an ohm meter to check the fuse for continuity and it seems OK. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this speaker forum is the wrong place for this.

Hi Kent;

This is an all KLH open forum, whatever is of interest to anyone.

Look for an owners/service manual.

Don't tinker yourself without the service manual, some parts may be no longer available and may break in your exploration, by accident.

Don't just take it to a tv shop for servicing, at least not yet.

Help will be here shortly, as your topic is read.

Good luck.

I am attaching a schematic for a model Eighteen, but it looks like a later production unit. I have one that I believe has the older multiplex board and a bipolar RF front end. This one shows FETs. I would imagine that the general topology is very similar and I hope that this will be of some use to you. The IF and multiplex sections went through quite a few revisions throughout all of the tuner and phonograph-with-tuner models, but the basic circuitry stayed pretty much the same, just repackaging and the use of newer IF and multiplex transformers. The multiplex board got up to at least an MX-6 in 1970.

Interestingly, the amplifier sections of the various phonograph models were redesigned to take advantage of the evolving transistor technology as it became available: for instance, the early Twenties used germanium output transistors with a driver transformer, whereas the later units used complementary-symmetry drivers feeding NPN (probably silicon) outputs. All units were capacitively coupled to the speaker and used a single polarity power supply.

Can you make some basic voltage measurements to try to narrow down where the problem lies? I would start with the output of the power supply. Another possibility is that the front end tuning capacitor is corroded: try rotating the dial back-and-forth a number of times and see if you get any kind of noise or static.

Good luck.

Bob

post-100192-1144300228.gif

post-4-1144300228.gif

>I just pulled out my KLH Model 18 tuner that has been sitting

>in the attic for maybe 20 years (ever since I replaced it with

>a Carver TX-11). It worked when I put it away but now

>...nothing. No light, tuning needle does not budge, not even

>static when I hook it up to my stereo. Thought it might be a

>fuse, but the label is right: "no user serviceable parts

>inside." Anyway, I DID find a fuse but it is soldered in

>place. Used an ohm meter to check the fuse for continuity and

>it seems OK. Any suggestions? Thanks.

>PS: Sorry if this speaker forum is the wrong place for this.

Hi again;

I do not know your servicing experience.

With line voltage present, I can't offer you anything more.

It is to easy to get hurt and also damage the tuner.

It does say, "stay out".

thanks for the scematics mrdb, but my electronics know-how is pretty limited (built some dynakits back in the day). I'll check it out a little and keep you posted. I found a repair shop for KLH tuners via the 'net and may just go that route. This was the first component I bought, so there is a sentimental attachment.

>thanks for the scematics mrdb, but my electronics know-how is

>pretty limited (built some dynakits back in the day). I'll

>check it out a little and keep you posted. I found a repair

>shop for KLH tuners via the 'net and may just go that route.

>This was the first component I bought, so there is a

>sentimental attachment.

Hi Kent;

Based on your admitted lack of electronics experience, this appears to be the wisest way to go.

I would hate to read that a member attempted beyond their skills and hurt themselves.

Secondary, would be damaged or destroyed equipment.

Good choice, Kent.

Hi again Kent;

Foremost, but forgoten by me in my last writing was for you to place a value on your unit as is.

Wherever you send your unit there will be parts, labour and possibly shipping charges as well.

Maybe check out ebay to see what is the current value of your unit first.

Your unit, if repairable may cost much more than it is worth.

My only other idea for tonight.

>Hi again Kent;

>

>Foremost, but forgoten by me in my last writing was for you to

>place a value on your unit as is.

>

>Wherever you send your unit there will be parts, labour and

>possibly shipping charges as well.

>

>Maybe check out ebay to see what is the current value of your

>unit first.

>

>Your unit, if repairable may cost much more than it is worth.

>

>My only other idea for tonight.

Hi again Kent;

I would not rule out getting it fixed, just be aware of it's specilized repair cost.

Just be prepared after the service person receives it, freight prepaid, that the end estimate may take it over the hill from any perseived value you may have now.

If this is beyond your budget, then just re-do it with boiled linseed oil, and keep it as a piece of nice historical furniture.

>Make funeral arrangements.

>Dynaco Dan can give the eulogy.

>I'll dig the hole.

>And you can toss the old boy in it.

No No No!!!! :(

• 1 month later...

I thought I posted this, but it's somewhere in cyberspace.

Anyone know of a good repair shop for my KLH 18 solid state tuner? thx

Archived