klh 105

Guest tech hifi

Guest tech hifi

has any body ever heard of klh model 105? this is a monster that I obtained from tec-hifi in waltham ma 25 years ago. it is a 6way system with a 10" woofer 4" mid and 4 1" tweeters and I am NOT making this up.please help me out

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
I also have a pair of the KLH 105, very massive pair of speakers. I have also been searching for info but to no avail. If anyone has any information on these pair of speakers please share it with us. They must be very rare. Sounds awesome!

back again with this request I have uploaded some pictures as an attachment of one these beauties. Please help with info!

post-102132-1197185276.jpg

post-102132-1197185311.jpg

• 9 months later...
back again with this request I have uploaded some pictures as an attachment of one these beauties. Please help with info!

2nd reply, finally an owner of the mysterious 105. Have lots of questions, Mike.

Welcome guys!

I've never heard of these, but they sure LOOK great! And they're real wood veneer from the looks. Very cool. AND--made in the USA!

Ported--not AS, but then so were the 19s and 33s (and some others I'm sure).

One little nit to pick: I'd say these are 3-way speakers (bass, mid, high). It just so happens the highs are handled by 4 tweeters. I'd guess this was an attempt to get better HF dispersion. If I remember correctly the Rectilinear High Boys also had several tweeters.

Glad you found this forum. Hope some members here can be helpful to you.

Kent

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TechHifi

OK - it was over thirty years ago, so there are some gaps in my memeory of these speakers, but the following I am reasonably sure of.

There were two KLH models that came out in the mid seventies, the 103 and the 105. The 103 was a three driver, three way system that IIRC had a ten inch woofer. It used the same mid as the 105 and the same tweeter.

Both of these models were developed by the KLH management with the idea of offering these models to some of the major retailers at the time - like Tech Hifi, to offer a high value, high margin, fairly limited distribution speaker choice.

They were more efficient than the comparable "New England" speakers in their price range like Advent large, EPIs , etc. They also had a more forward mid-range presentation - a more dramatic, punchy sound.

The 103 which I really thought was not a bad design was more Infinity/JBL than KLH/Advent/AR. Being a more efficient ported design, they would play pretty loud with not a ton of power, a Sansui 7 for example would make those puppys sit up on their hind legs.

But keep in mind these were speakers designed to make a good profit for the retailer. These were not "classic designs" meant to discussed thirty years laters. This was the time of the major retailers selling house brand speakers, or very limited distribution variations (proprieatary models) by the major brands. I'm not saying they were terrible or were a rip off, they were just a reaction to the realities of the market in the mid seventies to early eighties.

Ken

Archived