Replacement links and securing nuts for VR-Mxx Speaker Terminals

rnathans00

I recently acquired a set of VR-M50s in Cherry, and I am quite impressed by these little guys. Frequency Response is smoother than on my other, larger speakers, with surprising bass in a modest room if you don’t push it.

Unfortunately, it’s missing one of the HF-LF metal links, and two of the securing nuts. At first, I assumed these were a standard size. I borrowed NIS first from my Meadowlark Kestrels, then from my Snell CLS .5, and both fit. But then I tried those from an LCR7 (also Snell) and it was slightly small or the threads didn’t match. Then I tried those from a Revel M22, and it’s way smaller! I went to the hardware store, hoping to find a generic nut that might fit. The guy tested the BA nut against the US and Metric sizes he carries, but found no match.

so where might I find the right size parts, given that in my collection I’m finding three different sizes? I could take a shot on Amazon, and send it back if it doesn’t fit. Not so easy to do on eBay. I appreciate any suggestions.

CE2FF593-637B-43D2-AD1D-070E87C43DD1.jpeg

I was head of Home Audio product development at BA during this time period (1992-2003).

We did not custom design or custom tool the terminal cup, straps or knurled nuts for any of our speakers. We used strictly off-the-shelf parts for these kinds of things. We tooled/custom-designed things like tweeter faceplates, feet, grille frames, front/rear baffles (for the CR bookshelf speakers), etc., but we didn't waste money on custom terminal/connector parts. The VR-M uses garden-variety terminal parts, straps and knobs.

I don't remember for sure, but I bet the VR-M50/60 uses the exact same parts as the VR-M80/90 floorstanding speakers and the VR-MC center speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same parts as the VR-20, 30, 40 floorstanding speakers also. You may want to widen your search.

As far as a "BA parts dept" is concerned, the MA-based BA has been gone since 2012. Not sure to what degree--if any--BA speakers are supported by the factory any longer.

--Steve F.

I’ve been tempted to try a generic terminal cup, sometimes listed on eBay or Amazon as a “Parts Express 266”. If it’s compatible, I’ll get the link and the securing nuts. If it’s not, I’ll have wasted the money and/or time to return. I’d assumed “common size” until finding my high-end Revel and Snell used a different size, and my hardware store couldn’t match the bolt. I also find packs of loose binding post assemblies, with no guarantee their nuts would fit the BA’s posts.

1C7E2B44-7C3B-4707-B5DC-8D691A2F6832.jpeg

Updating my last post, it’s a good thing I didn’t order the above terminal cup. The seller advises the securing bolts are *not* removable. Apparently, they’re captive to the shaft, like those on the Mirage OmniSat. Just one more thing I’ll have to confirm before ordering anything.

Following up my own post, I lucked out. Ordered a set of Dayton Audio Heavy Duty Binding Posts, and the securing nuts fit beautifully. A close match, too, which suggests BA used high quality hardware. (Have no use for the rest of the binding posts. I doubt I’ll ever find a matching link though, so I’ll have to make due with speaker wire.)

17098A87-A1EE-493B-A950-69998AD4E680.jpeg