ar 3a stand

stan461

Anyone know the ideal height for AR3a's ? Are they better without stands ? Any recommended stands? How far apart can you put them without a sonic hole?

Thanks in advance.

Still looking for an amp (taking my time). Thanks for your responses on the amp search.

Did you miss out on the Luxman 507, don't forget to lookup the Marantz Site :- http://classicaudio.com/value/

I am sending to the Web Master a CD with over 200 Mbytes of scans for AR in general, AR3a and AR-LST information.

This stuff will turn up in time but in the meantime the stands as supplied by AR are constructed of two interlocking inverted u shapes that are 11 inches high.

Regards Barry

bjhart@gil.com.au

The AR-3 and AR-3a definitely require stands .. You want the tweeters to be around your ear level in your seated position.

I just bought a pair of AR-302's, which are similar in driver array to the AR-5. AR recommends a stand height of 8-12" for these. For the AR-303 (similar to the AR-3, AR-3a), AR again recommends 8-12" ..

As the AR-303/AR-3/AR-3a are very powerful in the bass region, I like to get them up to the highest recommended elevation, so I buy 12" stands for them.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All AR speakers should be tilted back 7 - 10 degrees and have the tweeter at ear level. The used to make a stand but it's very hard to find now . I use a stand from Ikea that works well.

AR-302 and Ar-303 both have smoothest and most extended response when the midrange is on the listening axis. Using the tweeter or above the tweeter as the axis results in suckouts between the midrange and tweeter around 7khz. The higher above the tweeter, the larger the suckout. In the bass, the smoothest response is obtained when the speakers are located on a stand about 12-14" high. ARs recommendations in their literature were not consistent with the stand they sold for the 302/303. It was 14" high. It should be located about 1 to 2 feet from the front wall to the back of the speaker and well away from side walls. This will yield overall smoothest response. Tilt the speakers back so the midrange is aimed at your face. The old ARs were designed for horizontal and vertical orientation. There is no vertical symmetry about the speaker axes, so as long as you're close to the tweeter and midrange axis you're in pretty good shape. Bass positioning should be similar to the 303/302.

Archived