New AR1 Speaker owner

Alex C

DavidR, that was for one. I have six now in the collection and one day I'll bring those into shape.

Since 1987 when I got them, I actually can't believe I have the LST's. Back when they came out in '72, it was such a far off dream. 

But, getting back to Alex C, he'd have to weigh the possibility of such a big money out lay and a possible long search for those AR-1's. Then what?

One must draw the line between owning museum worthy speakers or speakers that are work-horses and serve their owner as they are meant to.

I'm careful and still value my components, like my costly phono-cartridges but, there comes a time when they must be used to the point of enjoyment and not stared at like some manmade temple of worship.

Ah geez I can't lie, yes I do look at my system as if it were a precious object of wonderment and when the music gets to a point of intoxication, I let it take me away.

FM

• 1 month later...

@Alex C

What an incredible find!  You are one lucky man.  That's needle in a haystack stuff right there.  And pairing it with those vintage Marantz components is amazing!  I'd give anything to hear what they sound like.  I love my AR2a's that have been upgraded to 2ax's and cannot get over how incredible they sound after 60 years of service!  My dad bought them new back in circa 61 and I have had them since about 1982.  I also have my dad's McIntosh C11 preamp and his Dynakit ST70 which has been modded the the van alstine circuit board.  People come to my house and are constantly blown away by how real and lifelike the music sounds.  They just don't make em like that anymore if you ask me.

@frankmarsi

What a great story about getting your first ARs.  I live in Brooklyn and would love to know where that old hi fi store was on Avenue U.  I am sure it went out of business during the Reagan years haha.

Hi JohnnyTheG,

@frankmarsi

""What a great story about getting your first ARs.  I live in Brooklyn and would love to know where that old hi fi store was on Avenue U.  I am sure it went out of business during the Reagan years haha.""

Yep, born in Manhattan, raised in "Bed-Sty" and "Flatbush-Kings's County", Brooklyn was the 'real' melting pot since its beginnings. Still is the fourth largest city in the USA with 4 million in population. Forgive me but, my father had the correct idea to leave it while we were able to. A lot of history there though in the growth of the city which Brooklyn housed most of the folks who created Manhattan into the mega-city it was in those early days. Now, being away from that whole world I can only imagine what it's like these days. Though, still I'm happy for my time there, which is most of my life's learning about the rest of the world.  World wide typically everyone knows "NYC". The time I spent in Japan and Europe the folks there, made me feel like a VIP because I was from NYC.  My take is the last century was the time to be there as it still retained so much of what it was since the growth of the 'Industrial Revolution' with each neighborhood being what it was for decades.

From the changes I saw happening in the period I left it all  and hearing from a few friends who are still there, it is very much changed. Due to technological and cultural changes and the mere time/history aspect of things I don't believe I'm missing anything that I once enjoyed while I was there for about 43 years on the work-force. In other words, it's totally different there now than its history once enjoyed or it boasted of. Just the buildings and pavement are the same.

Interesting thing is that all of my AR speakers I had there I still have with me now so, these crazy good speakers have been the long-term friend I always knew they'd be.

I purchased my first pair of AR-3a's in 1971 and still own them and most of the equipment I used back in my formative days.  And like NYC, the newer equipment is just not as attractive or original feeling to me as the vintage stuff is. Then again, I enjoy the history of the world around me and the familiarity of my surroundings than the uncertainty of present days. I guess it's all relative. Just the same, listening to music on my old AR speakers allow me the sort of pleasure of something I'm most comfortable and familiar with.

P.S. That store was called; "Stereo Corp. of America". I doubt it's still there but, ya never know. I did find a copy of their later 1977 catalog on the web.They were a mail-order only, no store front or showroom, it was a warehouse with a counter/desk up front.

FM

Below, have a quick listen.

Click the double facing arrows in the upper left corner for large screen.

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10649-do-ar-speakers-really-sound-that-good-more-new-video/

Very well said @frankmarsi.  NYC is exactly how you imagined it has changed.  It's a pity it lost a lot of it's old charm and appeal.  Gentrification and rich out of state developers has made a fleeting memory of what it once was.  Having said that, I still love it here.   It's amazing but not surprising to think those ARs you bought in 71 are still sounding fantastic.  Did you ever have any work done on them or are they as they were when purchased new?  I image you recapped them at some point?  I'm with you though, I have not heard any modern equipment that sounds as good as my system, especially my ARs.  A real testament to their quality.

On Flatbush Ave. and Ave. U. 

When I got my AR-LST's the 3a's became 'donors' although I still have all the cabinets and drivers. I have enough spare drivers to rebuild all of my speakers, that was the plan. Nineteen years ago, I realized the lay of the land and which way the wind was blowing and went on a buying frenzy of used and some new spares. During that same period, I joined "CSP" and I proved myself correct. There were other folks of the same mind set.

I'm grateful for the years spent in NYC when it was all it was cranked up to be, recent transplants are there because they've heard all the accolades and have seen it in movies. There was a time when it was the greatest city in the world. I'm glad I saw it, lived it and cherished it when it was still the genuine article. I imagine that now it's all hype of what it once was. I knew the subway system like the back of my hand and I could be anywhere in the city in short time or quickly walk the rest. Be it the financial district, the printing district, the flower district, the photography district, the machining district, advertising district, and every other district that existed. In the mid- '70s, landlords couldn't give floors away, the place was too old and run down.  

Today, from what I hear about costs, like rent, etc. a normal person could no longer survive healthily or, happily. What I rented for in 1978 for $400./month is now going for over 2 grand. What I rented for $2,000./month is now going for over 6-7 grand. I sometimes use to say to newer-type of arrivals: "this place will chew you up and spit you out" ,"unless you work very hard and are extremely lucky".  And, I saw it happen countless times too.   Sometimes, you'd meet a person one week and with less than two or three weeks, they were gone. No money. no work,, no go, they left.                                                          

When I was abroad, folks acted like NYC was the 'Center of the World' and from childhood to when I left nineteen years ago, it was.

Now, homogenized, sameness, weak copies of originals and wanna-bees. I know, strongly opinionated but, I lived in it when it was thriving at its historically latest and greatest periods. Actually, for me, it was when I watched the second-plane hit the towers as I stood 2500 feet away, I felt it was all over. All before that, an outsider would never believe how great it was. Ah, such bliss to live,. work and love there.  

FM