AR 90 VS. AR 9LS AND AR9LSI

Supercooper188

• 6 months later...

I don't have the AR90

BUT I have AR9 and A pair of 9LS two pair of 98ls and a pair of 78ls only use one of them for a center channel. the two 9ls up front and the 98ls side and rear all driven with 250 watt audiosource mono blocks you don't want to be in the room past ten oclock on the volume. this is a audio system not movie.

I have not done a comparison with the AR9 and AR9ls but I will some day. becouse of the placement of the woofers on the 90 and the 9ls there is a different sound and placement would be more important on the 90's.

My AR9's seam to have more of a thump in the base with that big cap in them. I have had them powered with a peavy cs 1200 1200 watt and they will kick you in the chest with base. and I still have the same tweeters in them. bought the AR9's new.

Planning on upgrading all the ls to lsi after listening to the one set of 98LS that are I's i's are softer and smother not so harsh and in your face at high volume.

And I use my AR3's as my bench mark for the sound. just not loud

Jim

roundsound:

If I were you, rather than upgrade to the LSi xover, I'd recommend that you explore bi-amping.

With passive bi-amping you can control precisely the amount of energy sent to the mids/tweeters without having to waste energy in resistors.

Further, I don't care how big your amp is. The load created by the parallel 10 and 12 inch woofers will challenge any amp. Dedicating an amp to the woofers will move everything in the right direction.

roundsound, I've had wonderful success bi-amping my AR-3a's and will never return to a single amp configuration.

Regards,

Jerry

PS: to get a feel for the value of bi-amping you could try an experiment with your AR-3's as this is clearly much easier to do.

>roundsound:

>

>If I were you, rather than upgrade to the LSi xover, I'd

>recommend that you explore bi-amping.

>

>With passive bi-amping you can control precisely the amount of

>energy sent to the mids/tweeters without having to waste

>energy in resistors.

>

>Further, I don't care how big your amp is. The load created

>by the parallel 10 and 12 inch woofers will challenge any amp.

> Dedicating an amp to the woofers will move everything in the

>right direction.

>

>roundsound, I've had wonderful success bi-amping my AR-3a's

>and will never return to a single amp configuration.

>

>Regards,

>Jerry

>

>PS: to get a feel for the value of bi-amping you could try an

>experiment with your AR-3's as this is clearly much easier to

>do.

they are alreday bi amped there are ten amps in the system.All the crossovers have been moded for bi-amp. its not hard to add the parts to them. I have dbx electronic crossovers I might try in the system.

my 3's stay original they are on a AR amp and AR turntable.its for showing friends how good records can sound.

thanks anyway I don't have a shortage of amps. the peavy amp will run four 15inch just fine and that is per channel.

Jim

Looking at the schematics for the AR9 and AR90, the only glaring differences are in the bass section and that the AR9 comes factory wired for biamping. The attenuation circuit uses different values as would be expected in the LM, UL and tweeter section but all caps and coils are the same value, wired the same way and the driver part numbers appear to be identical. From my reading, the AR90 was intended for smaller rooms and as such, will hold it's own against the AR9.

Compared to the AR9LS, there are positives and negatives between the two designs. Speakers are afterall the art of compromise. The tweeter/upper mid was radically modified allowing them to be placed extremely close together in an effort to improve off axis high frequency sound and the woofers were modified to make the speaker less sensitive to placement issues than the 9 or 90.

Interestingly, no other speaker manufacturer to date (that I know of) has tried combining drivers or mounting the bass driver as was done on the AR9LS, but the legacy of the AR9/90 can be seen in many fine high speakers to this day. That, as far as I'm concerned exibits which ultimately sounds the best.

I have 9ls that I upgraded the crossovers to 9lsi. It is the addition of one resistor to the umr and one resistor to the lmr. The lsi version is much smoother and has less of a midrange bite. Powered by a Hafler P505 (proffesional vervison of DH500) these speakers have tremendous bass. I also have Allison Ones, (two 10" woofers) which are similar in concept to the AR9 as far as designing for bass response and room interaction, and AR9ls(i) bass response is much more powerful and goes lower, but maybe it is not as clean as the Allisons. The Allison midrange and high end are sweeter than the AR's also IMO. I haven't heard AR9's.

• 5 years later...

Archived