Sound deadening material inside cabinets

I have some experience with sound deadening in car audio and how it helps keep the speaker reproducing sounds more accurately by reducing the resonance of the surrounding material the speaker is mounted to. In all my reading related to particle board over time it tends to expand from moisture cycles throughout the years thus making it resonate more. Would adding sound deadening to the baffle be beneficial in returning this resonance back toward baseline?

i have some leftover sound deadening material from when i did my car doors and trunk silver metallic face with black tarry rubber layer, would it be a good idea to use that? A few patches around the woofer and midranges possibly the tweeters in a klh model 5?

If your KLH5s appear to have always been in a controlled temperate environment and show no evidence of swelling, my opinion is you don't have a problem.  Applying the deadening material you mention could deface the unit with no offsetting benefit. AR 12 inch are similar construction and very numerous, for example, and the issue you address has never been a concern that I can recall.  Others may a different opinion.

• 8 months later...

Sound deadening. Acoustic damping inside the speaker cabinets. 

I’m working on an interesting project at work that pertains to this. Artemis IV has a “hollow” tubular section 33 feet in diameter, 40 feet high, 34,194 cubic feet volume, where computer modeling shows it to have destructive levels of acoustic resonance. In essence a huge bell, or a volume that will build up acoustic vibrations from air passing over the outside of the volume at very high velocity. Modeling shows the acoustic vibrations to build to a level shown to be a structural hazard both to the section as well as to the avionics and structures within the volume. The solution has to be low mass, low volume, and fire proof. Frequencies 10 Hz to 10 kHz. 30 dB of damping.