Trades for Acoustic Research AR3's with original boxes and stands???

Guest centaurus

Guest centaurus

and/or really clean Bozak 302A Urbans.

i own a pair of early AR3's (cloth surrounds and judging by the s/n, metal oil caps in the x-overs). there are nearly no scratches on them and the grills are mint (never removed so frame is perfect). there are two planter stains on top of each speaker. the veneer is a little warped due to it as well. but i believe there are mahogany finish. so pretty dark and hard to see. the sides are perfect. the bottoms look good with only a few scratches. the pots are intermittent (common malady), but are easy to jiggle to work.

they sound AWESOME! all drivers work perfectly. that famous AR3 bass is so deep, you'll get nauseous ;-)

NOW FOR THE REALLY COOL PART!

i have the ORIGINAL shipping boxes for each speaker. the boxes have been re-taped at the corners (not by me), but are not ripped. alsohave the original packing material.

i bought the AR criss-cross stands a little while ago. they are near perfect and are a great compliment, both aesthetically and sonically. the bass is not muddy and overpowering when you lift the AR's the 11 inches off the floor as recommended by Acoustic Research.

IMPORTANT PART - what do i want?

1. NO SHIPPING! i live in the san francisco bay area (CA). you must bring me an agreed upon trade in person. upon inspection of both items (yours and mine), we will do the exchange.

2. what I'm looking for (in no order):

a. a pair of McIntosh ML-1c

b. clean and restored pair of AR11

c. AR9/AR90/AR91

d. acoustat

e. DAHLQUIST DQ-10

f. Tannoy HPD 315/DMT10 or 12s

g. ???? - what do you have of equal value?

email me if interested.

thanks,

Robby

To trade the AR-9 for an AR-3...what a fascinating notion!

Who, in their right mind, would believe the AR-3 to be superior to the 9? But ebay auctions indicate a relatively low value for the AR-9, and a relatively high one for the AR-3.

Clearly, factors other than the original application (quality of reproduction) now apply. Is it some sort of cache, ascribed to early-production AR speakers, or could it simply be because the 9 costs a small fortune to ship?

Guest centaurus

dude, that's my point!

i don't care about how much stuff is worth. i don't want to deal with putting them on ebay and screwing with packing and shipping.

i'll gladly trade for later AR or other speakers. such as a pair of AR9's or Dalquist DQ-10s, which go for FAR less than AR3. you take my AR3s, boxes and stands and sell to some cat in asia for $800+!

i don't care.

see ya,

Robby

>

>To trade the AR-9 for an AR-3...what a fascinating notion!

>

>Who, in their right mind, would believe the AR-3 to be

>superior to the 9? But ebay auctions indicate a relatively low

>value for the AR-9, and a relatively high one for the AR-3.

>

>Clearly, factors other than the original application (quality

>of reproduction) now apply. Is it some sort of cache, ascribed

>to early-production AR speakers, or could it simply be because

>the 9 costs a small fortune to ship?

>could it simply be because the 9 costs a small fortune to ship?<

Has to be most of it. I've watched several pairs of 9s and 90s sell for ridiculously low prices because I couldn't go get them. (I'm going to buy a pair of 90s when some "local" (meaning 8 hours of driving, total) come available.) If I knew I could get them wrapped-up and shipped cheaply without their being destroyed all my kids would have 9s! (and I'd be looking for a new wife)

I doubt anyone would be willing to deliver a pair of 9s to someone and take home a pair of 3s.

But then, there is also this part about fixing them. I mean with a pair of 3a's you get to refoam two drivers and clean a couple of pots and with 9s that's six drivers to refoam.

Not to mention the cost and/or effort of all those capacitors.

And it may be the W.A.F. we all know about. Even though the 3s on stands are going to take up just as much floor, they don't *look* like they are taking-up as much space.

But it is funny to watch, isn't it? A pair of 11s might go for $300 and a pair of 90s for $250.

"i don't care about how much stuff is worth."

Dude - you've clearly ascribed *some value* to your AR-3's, or you wouldn't be specifying a level of quality in the trades that you'd consider.

Please let us know if you find someone who's willing to drag his 9's over to your house for a swap - I have about a million questions for him.

Guest centaurus

oh, never mind.

i thought i'd trade my AR3's that seem to go for incredible prices on ebay for speakers that go for about $200-$250 on ebay.

judging by the responses, i pull the offer.

one last thing before i go. obviously, this would not be a deal for someone who thinks AR3 is an upgrade to AR9. it's for someone who wants to sell their AR3a, AR11 or AR9/90/91/92 but can't unload them for what they want for them. i'm offering to take them and give them speakers that could very well go for 3X as much, if they want to deal with packing and shipping.

hey, a new corvette Z06 outperforms a 1967 stingray convertible with an L88 427 big block in every way. but, collectors still value the L88 convertible at about 2.5X the price. so, should the classic vette be worth so much more than the superior Z06? i dont know, but i do i was not trying to be an ass by making this offer.

take care...

Robby

>"i don't care about how much stuff is worth."

>

>Dude - you've clearly ascribed *some value* to your AR-3's, or

>you wouldn't be specifying a level of quality in the trades

>that you'd consider.

>

>Please let us know if you find someone who's willing to drag

>his 9's over to your house for a swap - I have about a million

>questions for him.

>oh, never mind.

>

>i thought i'd trade my AR3's that seem to go for incredible

>prices on ebay for speakers that go for about $200-$250 on

>ebay.

>

>judging by the responses, i pull the offer.

>

>one last thing before i go. obviously, this would not be a

>deal for someone who thinks AR3 is an upgrade to AR9. it's for

>someone who wants to sell their AR3a, AR11 or AR9/90/91/92 but

>can't unload them for what they want for them. i'm offering to

>take them and give them speakers that could very well go for

>3X as much, if they want to deal with packing and shipping.

>

>hey, a new corvette Z06 outperforms a 1967 stingray

>convertible with an L88 427 big block in every way. but,

>collectors still value the L88 convertible at about 2.5X the

>price. so, should the classic vette be worth so much more than

>the superior Z06? i dont know, but i do i was not trying to be

>an ass by making this offer.

>

>take care...

>

>Robby

>

>

>>"i don't care about how much stuff is worth."

>>

>>Dude - you've clearly ascribed *some value* to your

>AR-3's, or

>>you wouldn't be specifying a level of quality in the

>trades

>>that you'd consider.

>>

>>Please let us know if you find someone who's willing to

>drag

>>his 9's over to your house for a swap - I have about a

>million

>>questions for him.

>Its all in the eye of the beholder I walked into a shop and picked up a set of teak AR3s mint for 50.00 bucks and my 61 Impala that I have owned for 35 year has a 84 corvette under it with a two stage fuel injection sytem in it and a 2005 GTO inside it You could not trade me a new corvette for that car.

but not to sound like i did no research I would not offer some one my 64 nova all original factory v8 in trade for a sunbeem tiger and expect them to bring it to me. its all how it is worded and the perspective from others point of veiw.

this is a hobby that is vary fun for us all and some time others take pokes at you I would like to invite some that have picked on some of my speakers to drop buy and listen to them before taking pokes at me being a nut. if they showed up with 30,000 in had they might be able to take a pair with them ;) then again i might just send them on wishing

Jim

Guest centaurus

thanks jim!

oh, and as far as the "bring your trades to my house" stuff. ummm, what's the big deal with that request? if you live in the san fracisco bay area, you have to haul my AR3's anyway. i'm not expecting some guy from texas to drive out to give me his AR9s! perhaps, i should have said local trades, but i figured that would be a given.

to get back to the original offer, i'll pick up any possible trades in the bay area and bring you the AR3s. better?

lastly, i did say "anything of interest." if you have something that i want (yes, even if it's worth a lot less than the AR3). such as i dig janszen electrostats (i have a pair of z-600s - would be interested in other janszens or RTR or other funky electrostats). i like bozaks (looking for a pair of 401 rhapsodies). all worth considerably less than the AR3s. if you have some funky undervalued (meaning sound better than their worth) speakers or equipment. i'm all ears.

Robby

Its all in the eye of the beholder I walked into a shop

>and picked up a set of teak AR3s mint for 50.00 bucks and my

>61 Impala that I have owned for 35 year has a 84 corvette

>under it with a two stage fuel injection sytem in it and a

>2005 GTO inside it You could not trade me a new corvette for

>that car.

>but not to sound like i did no research I would not offer some

>one my 64 nova all original factory v8 in trade for a sunbeem

>tiger and expect them to bring it to me. its all how it is

>worded and the perspective from others point of veiw.

> this is a hobby that is vary fun for us all and some time

>others take pokes at you I would like to invite some that have

>picked on some of my speakers to drop buy and listen to them

>before taking pokes at me being a nut. if they showed up with

>30,000 in had they might be able to take a pair with them ;)

>then again i might just send them on wishing

>Jim

>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived