Help! How to replace grille cloth?

JKent

Hoping for some ideas. I just bought some "Vintage New Old Stock" speaker cloth on ebay. It's not a perfect match for my AR 4x spkrs, but it looks authentic. This cloth does not have much "give" if any. How can I get a good tight fit? I thought maybe wet the cloth first, pull it as tight as possible and staple it to the wood frame, but the guy I bought the cloth from did not recommend wetting it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Guest palomar

I can't speak to this grill or grill frame specifically, but I've generally had the best luck actually using hot-melt glue instead of staples. I do a small section at a time, putting a bead of glue down, then pressing the grill material into it. I use a small, fabric-type of gun on low temperature (it uses the small glue sticks), simply because I've burned myself too many times with the large one. (You can still burn yourself with the small one on low, but it's not as bad.)

The reason I like the hot-glue method is that it doesn't matter how thick or hard the grill frame is. My old speakers used 3/4 inch pine cleats, which were very easy to staple into, but I've often used thinner hardboard, and the glue works better for me here.

The one issue that you might have with the ARs, and again I'm not familiar with the details here, is that if the grill material is somewhat hard, it may audibly slap against the grill panel at high bass levels if the grill is not attached to the front of the frame with some kind of spray adhesive.

>

>The one issue that you might have with the ARs, and again I'm

>not familiar with the details here, is that if the grill

>material is somewhat hard, it may audibly slap against the

>grill panel at high bass levels if the grill is not attached

>to the front of the frame with some kind of spray adhesive.

Hi there;

Excellent advice.

I have read somewhere, a drafting aid spray will do just that, hold the cloth to the frame and not look like the cloth is glued to it.

Perhaps someone can come up with a product and brand name.

3M 777 spray adhesive works well. Just use in a well ventilated room or spray outside and then bring inside. From time of application you have 15 minutes or so to position fabric. I use this on the entire frame and then reinforce with staples on the back of the frame.

Archived