Tweeter replacement for KLH 5

Quoytard

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure the tweeter is actually blown and not a crossover problem?  I had to recap my Model 5's to get tweeters working. You would have to search ebay for a vintage replacement tweeter if it is blown. Sometimes the voicecoil wire can get disconnected and some solder can reattach it too. That takes lots of troubleshooting, but I have fixed a few not working tweeters that way. 

Thanks for the reply/thoughts Brad - recently had the x-overs rebuilt by someone well-versed in KLH x-overs so I don't think that is the problem. I can't say if the tweeter was blown a long time ago or not - I only recently got them out of storage after a 20+ year hibernation. Sounded fine when I tried them (though I did not press my ear next to each of the drivers) before taking them to a local hi-fi shop to pull the x-overs and send them off for rebuild. It was only after the hi-fi shop reinstalled the re-built x-overs that I was told that one of the tweeters was blown. Where/when this occurred is a mystery. Thus, I'm searching for a replacement - found a vintage Model 17 tweeter that I may purchase to see if that fixes things until/if I can locate a Model 5 replacement.

Given what I've described, do you have other thoughts/suggestions? Welcoming guidance/advice from all comers🙂

Thanks -

Steve

Hi Steve, the only other 2 things to make sure you do is try hooking the tweeter up to another speaker's tweeter connection at low volume and see if it works?  There could be a malfunction in the switch on the xover board, hooking another tweeter or small speaker up to the tweeter leads and seeing if it works will confirm the xover is fine and sending signal to the tweeter. Those r the only 2 fool-proof troubleshooting ideas to confirm it is just a blown tweeter. 

Spoke with the guy. He tested the tweeter independently and got no sound - x-overs are fine. I found a used 17 tweeter that is in working condition (according to the seller). Will likely go that route and see what happens. Any words of caution re: 17 tweeter compatibility with the 5? Size appears to be the same (or very close). 

• 3 weeks later...

My feeling the Model Seventeen tweeter is one of the closest matches to a Five tweeter there is. The magnet on the 5's unit is located slightly closer to the basket than in the 17.  While I have the Five, Six and Seventeen (and Ten) models it seems like they sound very similar, maybe the Fives are a little more 'crystalline' and the 6/17 tweeter a little more 'present', if that makes sense?

Sorry for the belated reply. I almost never visit here now.