Help Wanted: Isolating & Testing AR2ax buzzy midrange

twinsig

I restored a pair of AR2ax's and seem to have a buzzy mid, and seems to occur in specific freqs, mostly on some vocals. I'm trying to find how to test, investigate and identify the problem.  

Any methods out there? Anything like audio tracks on CD?  

Installed are HiViQ1r tweeters (RoyC mod), OEM pots in really nice condition, new caps, etc. 

EDIT: I DO have a BK Precision function generator.

2 hours ago, twinsig said:

Any methods out there?

Assuming your signal wires are connected to the 1 & 2 posts on the speaker,  disconnect the jumper that connects post 2 to post T and play your speakers.  I you still hear the sound the problem is related to the woofer.  If not, then the mid. 

In the 2ax almost all human voice originates through the woofer, with mostly harmonics in the mid.

It might be wires touching the woofer cone. Just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, twinsig said:

I restored a pair of AR2ax's and seem to have a buzzy mid, and seems to occur in specific freqs, mostly on some vocals. I'm trying to find how to test, investigate and identify the problem.  

Any methods out there? Anything like audio tracks on CD?  

Installed are HiViQ1r tweeters (RoyC mod), OEM pots in really nice condition, new caps, etc. 

EDIT: I DO have a BK Precision function generator.

I have a half dozenorire sets of at, 2ax mids.  As with over epoxied large advent woofers, the same in all pre 9 series mids, and any other unpleasing external dampening ugliness

....i removed the grills, replace with very white insulation( same exact, same amount used). With clear epoxy, increasing the aesthetic of their signidivicantky.   I have so many,(all specs, is be happy to give you set for shipping.  Not much resale anyhow.   Truly I ha e a ton, glad so some could use.

• 1 month later...