AR LST

Guest Aumegamen

Guest Aumegamen

About to recreate 35 pairs of these using modern drivers with series crossovers, I hope, All using original cabs and covers, some are black.

Any Comments

>About to recreate 35 pairs of these using modern drivers with

>series crossovers, I hope, All using original cabs and covers,

>some are black.

>

>Any Comments

Hi there;

If I am reading this correctly, you plan on making 35 pairs of AR-LST's?

Are you going to use all currently available new AR OEM drivers or are you going to try to buy original classic drivers?

What do you mean by series crossovers?

The original LST's included a very special and unique switchable crossover network.

Do you now own 70 original AR-LST enclosures complete with original grill cloths?

If your story is that you are a new member, and you would like to make up a pair of AR-LST's from scratch, you would receive lots of wonderful comments, feedback and support I am sure.

This topic will raise some interesting comments anyways.

Guest Aumegamen

Yes Seventy original cabinets, I do not intend to use ar or ar oem drivers, Technology has moved on, but one thing I recognize about the layout is that it anticipated a lot of development that occurred later, Ie use of 5" drivers, at the time was unheard of in an array, this is one of the things that gave this speaker its sound, not power handling but articulation, the use of a 12" driver was compromised by the iron core, again an array of tweeters combined with this was fantastic.

I Intend to Make these as truthfully as possible, not to the original LST but to the intentions of what I think was the original idea behind the design and sound.

Guest Aumegamen

Series crossovers lead to unified phase response ie no driver is out of phase with any other, they are also self correcting in terms of impedance and frequency, properly designed they lead to a unified response as opposed to parallel butterworth crossovers etc which put the drivers 90 degrees first order or 180 degrees 2nd order which is critical at a low frequency cutoff point, the original lst used about 500 Hertz my ones use 125 Hertz allowing far more articulation of lower bass but allowing the 12" unit not to muddy the sound

Guest dogmeninreno

Hello, Any estimate of future price and availability? What a project if I must say..When you get your prototype done, keep in touch with us on the forum OK? Dale in Reno...

>Yes Seventy original cabinets, I do not intend to use ar or

>ar oem drivers, Technology has moved on, but one thing I

>recognize about the layout is that it anticipated a lot of

>development that occurred later, Ie use of 5" drivers, at the

>time was unheard of in an array, this is one of the things

>that gave this speaker its sound, not power handling but

>articulation, the use of a 12" driver was compromised by the

>iron core, again an array of tweeters combined with this was

>fantastic.

>

>I Intend to Make these as truthfully as possible, not to the

>original LST but to the intentions of what I think was the

>original idea behind the design and sound.

What are you referring to with regard to the use of 5-inch drivers? Replacement for the 1-1/2-inch midrange? Why? What are you referring to about the "iron core?" In what way did that compromise the use of a 12-inch driver? What do you think the designers of the AR-LST attempted, but were unable to accomplish?

--Tom Tyson

>Well, if anyone can pull this off, it's Aumegamen, that's for

>sure!

>Godspeed, Aumegamen!

Hi there aumegamen;

Sorry, I don't know who aumegamen (Martin) is?

This name just came out of the blue.

What is your hifi background?

You seem to be known by others.

You wrote some interesting followups.

Hi,

Interesting project, just curious how you came about getting these cabinets if you don't mind telling us?

Pete B.

>About to recreate 35 pairs of these using modern drivers with

>series crossovers, I hope, All using original cabs and covers,

>some are black.

>

>Any Comments

Guest Aumegamen

Thanks very much for the feedback youall, will attach some pics of cabinets on tues uk. OK I will lay my cards on the table, I originally bought these cabs to front my new electrostatic tweeter which would have been mounted above the cabs similar to the old bowers and Wilkinson's dm70s, but having got the cabs I felt that would be a disservice to both the history of these speakers and my new tweeters as such having heard the lst many times I have embarked on a complete redesign of them.

Speakers they will be referenced against are

Spendor bc1 and bc2

jbl L110s

tannoy oxfords

b&w dm70s

Kef 104s

Infinity emit( tweeters only)

Decca londons( Tweeters only)

Shackman esl tweeters two types( tweeters only)

Rogers side loading horns

using

Yamaha ca1100

leak stereo 20

Amcron geodyne 11

Tripletone gemini 8

Sugden/Richard Allen a15 (many thanks Tom)

Studiomaster 500 mosfet

Bearing in mind speakers I liked in the past where DQ10s, Spendor BC3s, Imf studio reference, quad esl57, Ess amt1 ( the treble from these took my breath away like my new stats, having bought a pair of amts tried to match the tweeters to anything else, but without success that but was quite a while ago.

AS you might of guessed I do like very deep bass, but also require as much transparency that can be had in the midrange, in terms of the treble the more subtle and responsive without being harsh the better

Good Night youall

Martin

Hi Martin;

Your project sounds more interesting to me now, than when I first responded to you, Martin.

At first, I thought you were a cracker, trying to make LST lookalikes, to cash in on the LST's fame only, on ebay.

You obviously have good taste, Quads, I have heard them and read much of their clarity in the mids.

Your interest and ours is much alike.

Searching for a more perfect speaker system, today. MMMMMM

Are you now in possession of all of those original AR-LST enclosures and grill cloths?

This is going to be a very long, and extremely interesting topic, to be sure.

I for one, look forward to seeing your project progress, if, you are going to be sharing this with us.

Thank you.

I am curious about what woofers you will be using. I have not found any woofers which have comparable characteristics to the AR 12" driver. Those which could potentially offer comparable performance such as the Tonegen NHT 1259 require considerably larger cabinet volumes, at least double in the case of that driver. Any other woofer I've seen which would fit in this cabinet would have appreciably poorer performance because of the substantially lower volume inside. What have you found that would work about as well?

Guest Aumegamen

Hiall, very disappointed that the main response has been about the authenticity of the cabs, do you think I would be posting here if it was not so, I will unpack one of the boxes and take pictures as I do it, getting very fed up with all of this, Doh, beginning to wish I had said nothing.

Martin

Guest Aumegamen

Yes a big problemo, as youall know AR bass drivers rely by legend on the compliance of the air in the cabinet as a spring to achieve a very low fs. there is another way, Its to do with bypassing the very lowest frequency through another stage, wastes power but does the job.

Martin

Let me know if I can be of any assistance, as I am pretty familiar with the design of the LST, as owned them personally for many years. Also, it would seem that your subject matter is really perfect for the "Mods, Tweaks, and Upgrades to the Classics" section of this BBS.

>Hiall, very disappointed that the main response has been

>about the authenticity of the cabs, do you think I would be

>posting here if it was not so, I will unpack one of the boxes

>and take pictures as I do it, getting very fed up with all of

>this, Doh, beginning to wish I had said nothing.

>

>Martin

Hi Martin;

Sorry that you are getting mad at us for continually asking about the original AR-LST enclosures.

I for one have had a really big smile glued on my face just trying to imagine seeing that many enclosures.

Never having even seen more than 2 pairs at any one time, and only once, it is thrilling to imagine 35 pairs.

Please, don't be offended by our curiousity.

>Hiall, very disappointed that the main response has been

>about the authenticity of the cabs, do you think I would be

>posting here if it was not so, I will unpack one of the boxes

>and take pictures as I do it, getting very fed up with all of

>this, Doh, beginning to wish I had said nothing.

>

>Martin

Don't be sad, Martin - it's just that a few of the guys on this forum are somewhat skeptical when it comes to bizarre, unsubstantiated claims.

You've inspired ME, though - I've spent the weekend using Craig's List to acquire 35 pairs of metallic-blue, 1967 Corvettes, into which I intend to place a powerplant of my own design (it *will* have an iron core!), affording much greater transparancy and subtle treble than the stock GM engine. I've attached a photo of one of the cars - the other 69 look exactly the same, so don't p*ss me off, by asking to see them, too.

post-100370-1138585133.jpg

Hi, Martin

Will you post pictures of one of your AR-LST cabinet for us? Close up shots of the front pannels with and without grills as well as the back pannel. I still wish to find out if they are AR-LST or Cello Amati old stocks? I don't recall AR ever make the black cabinets for production model, just custom order only.

Also, show us pictures of the tweeter, midrange and woofer you are planning to use for your updated AR-LST speakers if you don't mind. Due to the very narrow side pannels of the AR-LST speakers. re route the 4 midrange driver openning on each cabinet to fit bigger midranges will be very difficult task! But nothing is impossible, as long as there is a will there is a way... What price range do you have in mind for your speakers?

I had gone through the original AR-LST with 5000uF opened back pannel model, the improved version with 2500uF, Cello original Amati and Amati MkII and still trying to own the Cello Amati Pro...

I never under estimate one's ability or capability to make it happen to out perform the Cello Amati but it will be a charllenging task....

Minh Luong

Archived