Can my 3a tweeter be repaired?

Guest robobxman

Guest robobxman

One of my 3a tweeters (1968 / small black dome / 4 ohm / part # 1200013-1) isn't working properly. The dome detached from the orange goop that holds it down. I tried applying clear silicone and letting the silicone dry while the dome was pushed down. Now, the dome isn't raised as much, but it still travels up and down too much when pressed. And the tweeter works, but is extremely faint (and it's not the pots b/c I bypassed them to provide a full signal to the tweeter). Should I use a different substance than silicone? Or is the tweeter beyond repair? I am looking for a replacement, but would like to try my hand at repairing it (again) first. Thanks in advance, Rob.

Guest dogmeninreno

>One of my 3a tweeters (1968 / small black dome / 4 ohm / part

># 1200013-1) isn't working properly. The dome detached from

>the orange goop that holds it down. I tried applying clear

>silicone and letting the silicone dry while the dome was

>pushed down. Now, the dome isn't raised as much, but it still

>travels up and down too much when pressed. And the tweeter

>works, but is extremely faint (and it's not the pots b/c I

>bypassed them to provide a full signal to the tweeter). Should

>I use a different substance than silicone? Or is the tweeter

>beyond repair? I am looking for a replacement, but would like

>to try my hand at repairing it (again) first. Thanks in

>advance, Rob.

Rob, Read the voice coil with your ohmmeter. It should read 3.6 ohms dc or so. You may have a problem with the coil which will lower the output level IE: shorted coil..I haven't found a way yet to repair a damaged AR3a or similar tweeter as yet. If the tweeter is working, I suggest you send it to a repair shop or scrap it. The silicone you used may be too stiff for proper operation. You might want to try a foam as used in insulating.I have several 4 ohm tweeters for the 3a and if you need one contact me at duffydog1234@sbcglobal.net I also have some tweeters that are defective but have good domes if you need one of these, I will send it to you for $12.00 including shipping..Good luck, Dale

Hey dogmeninreno,

I'm looking for some backwired AR3a tweeter's and midrange,can you help?Bought some AR3a Improved cabinets only trying to rebuild.

Guest dogmeninreno

>Hey dogmeninreno,

> I'm looking for some backwired AR3a

>tweeter's and midrange,can you help?Bought some AR3a Improved

>cabinets only trying to rebuild.

I have some 3a mids and tweeters 4 ohm backwired type. If interested, email:

duffydog1234@sbcglobal.net

Dale

Archived