AR-91 & Ribbon Tweeters - Fun!

ar_pro

In the spirit of "maybe it could sound even better", I'd spent some early lockdown time playing with various add-on tweeters for the AR-91 project from a few years ago; these included the classic Micro Acoustics Microstatic array and the Optimus Linaeum dipole tweeter.

In a nutshell, the wide-dispersion design of the Microstatic worked against the AR-91's naturally-focused high frequency presentation, and while the Linaeum's dipole properties provided an interesting increase in perceived depth, it ultimately got in the way of the '91, tending to smear the sound.

Earlier this year, I purchased a pair of Aperion's MKII planar-magnetic super tweeters, and they've turned out to be an excellent addition. There's definitely more of a sense of "air" around the '91s, especially with recordings of acoustic instruments. It took a bit of fiddling with the crossover setting and the level control to find the most pleasing & effective adjustment, but it was still much easier than trying to integrate a subwoofer or the like - actually, it was kind of fun. 

I've attempted no measurements, so this is all subjective - suffice to say that switching the tweeters in & out is reliably apparent, and their overall effect on things is pretty much what I'd been looking for. I would love to try these little guys with an AR-1, should I ever again stumble across a pair of those...^_^

art01.jpg

art02.jpg

art03.jpg

art00.jpg

Cool.  I'm sure most of the older model AR's cold use this help.

I've used a pair of Fostex super tweeters with my AR3's along the way with good results.  Also have  some very good Arum Cantus G3ST-D super ribbon tweeters that I could give a try but may be overkill.

5 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Cool.  I'm sure most of the older model AR's cold use this help.

I've used a pair of Fostex super tweeters with my AR3's along the way with good results.  Also have  some very good Arum Cantus G3ST-D super ribbon tweeters that I could give a try but may be overkill.

Wow. The Fostex super-tweeter is like the Cadillac of these things, isn't it, David?

How about when you switch it out, do you notice the difference immediately?

On 10/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, ar_pro said:

Wow. The Fostex super-tweeter is like the Cadillac of these things, isn't it, David?

How about when you switch it out, do you notice the difference immediately?

It's ben some time since I used the AR3's with them so I can't recall the specifics, but yes, night and day.

I have moved towards horns and higher efficiency speakers in recent years and the Fostex get used quite a bit there like now with this set up.  The soundstage really rises when you introduce these things.

1025211241a_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf240e273fc192e8cd1ae6af2b7cc7a8.jpg

I've seen old product literature for Stephens speakers, but I'm pretty certain that I've never heard one. Those drivers look like new, and the cabinets are a little like some of the enclosures that are built for the Altec Duplex line. Talk about 180 degrees from the AR approach! ^_^

Since they're so highly efficient, do you ever have an issue with amplifier idle noise becoming noticeable?