Replacement woofer for AR28BXi

Guest N4ZR

One of my ancient AR28BXis went all buzzy the other day, and when I removed the grille the entire surround of the woofer fell out in pieces, leaving the cone completely untethered at the edges. Rather than go through what might be an expensive process of rebuilding the woofer, I thought it might make sense to buy a replacement. There is only AR nomenclature on the speaker itself, but the diameter (to the outside of the frame) is about 10 1/8 inches, and the coil resistance at DC is 3.5 ohms.

I would infer from this that I'm dealing with a 4-ohm speaker. Are generic 4-ohm 10-inch woofers an acceptalbe replacement, or is there something else I need to know?

Thanks!

Pete Smith

Refoaming the woofers is not expensive or difficult, you should consider it:

http://www.speakerbits.com/Default.aspx?ca...pular%20speaker

What is the cutout diameter and how many screws hold in the woofer?

Can you trace the woofer crossover?

Pete B.

• 3 weeks later...

The cutout is 9 1/8 inches, and there are 4 screws holding the speaker in place. The speaker's outside diameter is 10 1/8 inches, which makes me think it probably is not the 11-inch AR woofer referred to on Speakerbits website.

I ran across a Layne Audio website, as well as several favorable references to them on this discussion group, and they seem to offer a very attractive price for refoaming these specific woofers. However, I have not been able to reach them by phone - constantly busy - and repeated e-mails have gone unanswered. Are they still in business?

Pete Smith

Hello:

If any woofer except the original is used, right and left will be different, but worse yet, the tonal balance of the speaker will be destroyed. The damage is not as bad as it would appear on first sight.

If you scan older posts on this Forum, you will find your query repeated many times -- each person enquiring about a diferent AR model number :-) In each case, the multiple responses all said: "refoam."

Refoaming is a standard procedure; many on this site have recommended Millersound in Landsdale, PA. 215-412-7700. It would be reasonable to refoam both woofers, as their age and the demise of one surround would indicate that the other is not far behind. The lifetime of the urethane surround has been reached. Simply refoam and enjoy another 15 years or more of good listening.

If you substitute any other woofer, it will no longer be an AR-28Bxi.

>Are generic 4-ohm 10-inch woofers an acceptalbe replacement, or is there something else I need to know?<

There are many other things, many, many, that you need to know and any variation amongst any of them will cause the "speaker system" to change tonality.

There's: inductance, the driver's natural "crossover" or "native frequency response" that was taken into consideration when the crossover was designed, resonance, impedance curve, efficiency, and the list goes on and on. If you liked the way the speakers sounded when they were working correctly, you don't want to mess with *any* of those parameters.

Refoaming is relatively inexpensive (certainly less expensive than purchasing similar-quality new drivers) and is your best bet. I share this with you as someone who made the mistake of buying replacement drivers then had to have my old ones repaired after the new AR-people- recommended drivers turned-out to be a crashing disappointment.

In my personal opinion, if you buy new drivers, you will get a better result if you will just buy new speakers.

Bret

Guest dogmeninreno

>>Are generic 4-ohm 10-inch woofers an acceptalbe replacement,

>or is there something else I need to know?<

>

>There are many other things, many, many, that you need to know

>and any variation amongst any of them will cause the "speaker

>system" to change tonality.

>

>There's: inductance, the driver's natural "crossover" or

>"native frequency response" that was taken into consideration

>when the crossover was designed, resonance, impedance curve,

>efficiency, and the list goes on and on. If you liked the way

>the speakers sounded when they were working correctly, you

>don't want to mess with *any* of those parameters.

>

>Refoaming is relatively inexpensive (certainly less expensive

>than purchasing similar-quality new drivers) and is your best

>bet. I share this with you as someone who made the mistake of

>buying replacement drivers then had to have my old ones

>repaired after the new AR-people- recommended drivers

>turned-out to be a crashing disappointment.

>

>In my personal opinion, if you buy new drivers, you will get a

>better result if you will just buy new speakers.

>

>Bret

I totally agree with Bret, Use the originals or purchase new speakers..Stay away from Layne Audio. IMO Steve is not responding to my inquiries. Busy? Maybe but who knows?? Dale

Archived