Replacing tweeters in Dynaco A25XL's

bassplayer

Hello, I have a green horn question for the Dynaco experts here. I bought a pair of Dynaco A25XL speakers. The tweeters were toast. I went to the online auction site and found a guy selling a pair of Seas H-086 tweeters. But I made a mistake me thinks. When I received the tweeters I see on the label that they are in fact Seas H-086 tweeters but they are 4 oms. Not the "4/8 ohm" tweeters. After some research I think they came out of a pair of B&O speakers of some kind. So my question is.... can I still use these in my A25XL's or am I stuck with a pair of tweeters that are useless to me now? I checked them on my multimeter and they are 3.5 and 3.8 ohms respectively. BTW, I have already replaced the caps with new Dayton Audio 8.1uf caps. Thanks so much. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up using the Seas TDC H881 tweeters. The off axis HF response in the XL's is much better than it is in a pair of all original A25 speakers that I also have. The Caps (8.2 and 5.1 respectively) were replaced in both. Here is the before and after pics of the XL's I just completed. They were in bad shape when I got them. I re-veneered the pair in Mahogany. Cheers.

s-l640 (1).jpg

s-l640 (2).jpg

s-l640.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...