AR-10 & 11 speaker grill attachment

Illf8ed

I’m thinking about making some grills for my 10pi speakers.  The originals were a dense open foam that attached with a variation of Velcro.  Was there some fabric on the foam or did the “Velcro” push into the foam?  

The original foam grilles have no fabric.  The Velcro pushes into the foam. 

Some have made wood frame/cloth grilles that mimic the look of the original foam grilles.  The grilles project out 3/4" beyond the face of the speaker with a 45 degree beveled edge.

Mine have actually held up quite well.  The foam grilles for my AR-14's (same grille as 11/10pi) are 40 years old and still in very good shape and still grab the Velcro.  The same is true for a pair of AR-15's I picked up a while back.  

My AR-11's needed new grilles, but that was primarily due to mistreatment by the previous owners.  The grilles were stained & torn.  I was fortunate to find a replacement pair on eBay.

Just finished one grill for my AR-10pi.  I made a frame from 1”x1” poplar, routed the 45 degree, glued and screwed the 45 degree corners the black speaker cloth over the frame glued with 3M weatherstrip glue.  Came out pretty well.  Now to make a second one.

98F7F15B-FB6C-4E87-A4E8-439D02E54C6C.thumb.jpeg.6b43980919d7da39b29fb4df37c888de.jpeg