ADC 303AX

Martin

Finally got a pair of ADC 303AX after searching for a very long time. It was a personal teen-aged goal to own every one of the five check-rated speakers in the infamous (infamous because of the Bose lawsuit) May, 1970 Consumer Reports loudspeaker article. The other check-rated speakers in that article were Dyna A25, KLH 6, AR 2ax, Scott S15.  The ADC was the only one that never found its way into my listening room, until now.   I am happy to report that they sound remarkably good, low-frequency output is nothing short of excellent.  They can probably benefit from a recap.  More on that as it develops.  Any other ADC fans out there? 

ad2.jpg

ad1.jpg

• 10 months later...

These late units had grills attached with Velcro, so removal was no problem.

I don't know ADCs well enough to know if earlier units were attached with glue, but that would be my best guess, so a thin putty knife carefully inserted around the frame my help you pop them off. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 1:06 AM, Martin said:

These late units had grills attached with Velcro, so removal was no problem.

I don't know ADCs well enough to know if earlier units were attached with glue, but that would be my best guess, so a thin putty knife carefully inserted around the frame my help you pop them off. 

Early 303As were indeed glued on and possibly nailed as well. I had a set that needed their woofers repaired that had silver threads through the grille cloth (to help date them) where the grill was absolutely impossible to remove. I tried prying to the point of hearing cracking wood and had to give up at that point lest I destroy everything up front in the effort. Ended up giving them to another fellow and he had to resort to using a circular saw to cut open the back as he couldn't remove the grilles either. Shame the only method that worked was so destructive. The woofers were interesting being an early example of a slit cone to control resonances with tape to seal against leakage. It was the old tape falling off and flapping against the cone that had caused the woofers to rattle and need repair.