AR5 restoration

teknofossil

Hello all, a I am restoring (finally) my set of hacked up Ar5 speakers. I have theHivi Q1R tweeters to replace the originals. As many of you know these were suggested as replacements for the AR3a. So, my question is for use as replacements in the AR5 are there any recommendations for altering the 4uF capacitor in the original crossover circuit or the inductor recommended for the use of the tweeter with the AR3a?

2 hours ago, teknofossil said:

Hello all, a I am restoring (finally) my set of hacked up Ar5 speakers. I have theHivi Q1R tweeters to replace the originals. As many of you know these were suggested as replacements for the AR3a. So, my question is for use as replacements in the AR5 are there any recommendations for altering the 4uF capacitor in the original crossover circuit or the inductor recommended for the use of the tweeter with the AR3a?

Some people find the HiVi tweeter to be too forward. If you are using L-pad level controls I strongly suggest using a parallel 25 ohm resistor across both the tweeter and mid. Some people will also reduce the capacitor value a bit as well. It would be prudent to not button up the cabinets too tightly in case you wish to experiment with this.

Roy

On 2/8/2021 at 4:51 PM, RoyC said:

Some people find the HiVi tweeter to be too forward. If you are using L-pad level controls I strongly suggest using a parallel 25 ohm resistor across both the tweeter and mid. Some people will also reduce the capacitor value a bit as well. It would be prudent to not button up the cabinets too tightly in case you wish to experiment with this.

Roy

Thank you for the advice!  -T