AR9 troubles

Guest verbrand

Guest verbrand

I spend 3 weeks getting my AR9 in reasonable shape and now I finally have them playing, but one loudspeakers sounds a lot softer then the other. All drivers are working and producing music but the loudness level is very different. It sounds like shit. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I think it's the upper midrange it sounds a lot softer then the midrange from the other.

With kind regards, Verbrand

Guest dogmeninreno

>I spend 3 weeks getting my AR9 in reasonable shape and now I

>finally have them playing, but one loudspeakers sounds a lot

>softer then the other. All drivers are working and producing

>music but the loudness level is very different. It sounds like

>shit. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I think

>it's the upper midrange it sounds a lot softer then the

>midrange from the other.

>

>With kind regards, Verbrand

I would swap the 2 upper midranges and see if the problem follows. if not, your problem may be in the xover caps.

Guest verbrand

I swapped them the problem still persists, but is a lot less? Now I've lost it completly? I also checked for wrong wiring, but that ain't the case. Thanks for the reply though.

Cheers Verbrand

Verbrand,

>>I swapped them the problem still persists, but is a lot less? Now I've lost it completly? I also checked for wrong wiring, but that ain't the case. Thanks for the reply though.<<

When you swapped the upper midrange drivers -- is the difference in loudness "problem" still in the same speaker or did the different loudness go with the midrange driver to the other speaker?

Do you have a meter to measure the resistance across the terminals of the upper midrange drivers?

Rich

Guest dogmeninreno

>I swapped them the problem still persists, but is a lot less?

>Now I've lost it completly? I also checked for wrong wiring,

>but that ain't the case. Thanks for the reply though.

>

>Cheers Verbrand

What do you mean you've "lost it completly"? Good idea to measure the dc resistance of the 2 upper mids as suggested.

Guest verbrand

Well I switched the upper midrange and the difference persists, but is a lot less obvious. I should measure them, but I don't have the tools yet. Could it be that the caps died on me? The switches on the front are all on 0db.

By the way I'm considering of selling them what would be a fair price for them? The surrounds are new.

Cheers Verbrand

Just to second or third what others have said.

After re-capping mine and doing a bunch of other stuff I found *exactly* what you are talking about. So I swapped cabinets, too. With the same result -> It was still bad, but not as bad.

Now I curse the electronics. Without shutting anything but the amplifier off, I swap sides with the amp outputs. Problem stayed with the speaker. I breathe a sigh of relief that it isn't my new preamp or old source or used, but fairly new to me, external DAC; and groan as I realize what that means.

The problem persisted and I concluded that spending all the money I'd spent on my 9s was a waste.

Then, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the volume came-up on the offending speaker. . . and it took a second or two, it wasn't instant like you touched a wire to something. Huh? What? Oh no! I must have a bad new Zen capacitor.

Then I read Tom Tyson's comments about cold solder joints and went back through all my soldering, making new connections on ring-tongues to be SURE about the solder-job.

While I'm in there I pulled the drivers a second time. I took De-Ox-Id to the terminal connections and "while I was at-it" sprayed all the switches from the front (getting VERY little actually into the switch; if any at all). I thought about jumpering past the switches, but decided I didn't have enough information to go-on to justify that.

I stuck it all back together and voila! Sounded good. I change the CD and , it's back to being bad.

I wont' tell you what I said because it wasn't suitable for public consumption.

This is getting long so I'll skip the next several hours and tell you that I eventually positively identified the switch as the culprit, but doing-so was much harder than I'd ever have imagined.

My experience sounds just like yours. In my case it was/is the switch.

Bret

I'd try to clean the switches. I know for a fact that mine need cleaning. I can sometimes hear the drivers they are connected to make a slight noise when I switch them. They should be silent. I can only conclude that the contacts are oxidized. I've got some de-oxit but haven't gotten around to it yet. I haven't taken these speakers apart in a very long time. Anybody know how to get near them? Remove the 8" lower midrange driver which is just above them maybe ????

Guest bolly

just tried sm, can't do it through the low-mid hole, unless you remove the chamber as well. IIRC, you cant do it through one of the 11"ers either, it's a seperate chamber.

Guest sleuth

I have a pair. I'm going to list them on Ebay today or tomorrow.

Not sure about price probably $300-400. Ebay ID is wontfind4less. Email is sjsleuth@comcast.net

Scott

Archived