Wrong surround for my metal woofer?

Andrew055

Just picked up this Large Advent metal woofer on ebay. But, I've been told that this is the wrong surround that was applied to it. Will I have to remove it and replace because the one that is on it now will effect the sound quality? The one pictured has a larger outer lip. I tried it and I can not hear any difference.

20201226_163258.jpg

Yes, it is the wrong surround. It appears to be the surround made for the Masonite woofer with a wider outer flange. Also, the inner flange of the surround belongs under the cone edge, not in front of it.

As to whether to replace it with the correct surround, it depends. If it appears to work correctly, no rubbing, etc. you can leave it. A bigger concern is if the surround material is compliant (floppy) or not. It looks kind of rubbery to me but that's kind of hard to tell from a photo. It should feel relatively soft when you poke the roll with a finger, not "bouncy".

Now me, it would bug me and did. A few years ago, I bought a pair with those same surrounds and even though the drivers worked fine, I changed the surrounds just because they were incorrect.

Doug

Thanks for responding Doug. There is no rubbing at all and the surround is soft and not bouncy. I ran it next to one of my other OLA's with the masonite woofers and I really couldn't discern a difference. If I decide to redo it wouldn't I risk mangling the cone edge while removing this surround and then the cone edge would be showing any of it's current imperfections or damage since the top would now be exposed?

This is what my other metal woofer looks like after removing as much of the old glue as I could get off. It might have been refomed multiple times. I didn't want to risk trying to remove any more from the inner cone ring. There was a major build up of glue on the outer ring that I had to really scrape off.

20201227_183033.jpg

Yes, I don't know. It appears to be a very neat job on the driver in your picture and, being it's working well. maybe just leave it. It would be different if you could hear a difference between the other advent woofers.

I should add that the two I redid with the correct surrounds were not done too well with the surrounds even coming loose in some spots and the outer flange kind of wrinkled.

Doug