Large Advent Rev 2 crossover caps

Andrew055

Can anyone tell me if these are the original caps for this crossover or have these been changed out already at some point in the recent past. I did just pick up some NPE caps from Parts express, but now I'm wondering if I really need to change them. To my ear the speakers sound great!

OLA crossover.jpg

They look original to me. What brand are they? Do the solder connections look real clean and like they have never been disturbed?

Also, just because they are original doesn't necessarily mean they need to be replaced. Capacitor replacement has become an obsession

Doug

The solder connections look untouched and not disturbed. I'm kind of in the same camp as you when it comes to recapping them. It seems like the other camp says since they are electrolytic then they would be dried out after all these years and therefore should be replaced. 

I have five pairs of original Advents, checked the caps in all of them as I bought them, they were all in spec, and my speakers all sound terrific.

I mean, there is no harm in replacing them as a precaution and they are inexpensive,  but I just don't think it's necessary. With my long history in electronics, unless electrolytics have leaked or have popped out the sealed end, they are usually OK. The ones in your picture look great. I know there are those who disagree, but that's my experience.

Doug