AR9 silver trim tip.

lance G

Each to their own, and trying to be kind here, but I gather some people, including myself, can find the appearance of the silver/chrome finish trim on the AR9 side panels somewhat "tacky" visually.

I gather some owners have even resorted to removing the plastic trim strips altogether. Possibly a shame in my opinion, as this potentially destroys the originality.

My solution was to use a black indelible marker pen to disguise the trim, with the option to remove the "ink" with iso propyl alcohol (or similar) to allow a return to originality.

Some apologies for showing the whole system (looking like a bit of a dog's breakfast) as opposed to just the speakers, but if doing so prompts any useful/interesting comments regarding same, I am happy to receive.

P1120277.JPG

18 hours ago, lance G said:

with the option to remove the "ink" with iso propyl alcohol (or similar) to allow a return to originality.

This is a good idea Lance.   But I think if I were going to go this route, I'd first try it on an inconspicuous area such as the bottom of the grill.   Then I'd check to see how the isopropyl alcohol does at removing the indelible ink.   If 70% isopropyl doesn't work, then 91% or even 99% denatured alcohol should certainly do the trick.  But I would make sure that these higher concentrations do not damage the chrome finish.

13 hours ago, DavidR said:

I kind of like the silver trim.

I know what you mean, David...You'd never remove the chrome from a vintage MG.

4 hours ago, AR surround said:

I'd first try it on an inconspicuous area such as the bottom of the grill.   Then I'd check to see how the isopropyl alcohol does at removing the indelible ink

Hi, yes, that's exactly what I did, and the process worked absolutely fine with the particular marker that I used.

I don't want to do this suggestion to death, buy if it helps one person on the forum I shall be happy.

I find the forum to be a tremendous resource, and have received some great help from members (you know who you are !). I feel that to give a little back, however small, is the least I can do.