Narrowing focus of The Classic Speaker Pages ..

administrator

The website this last week hit 700+ visitors a week for the first time. Each week I've noticed the number of visitors climbing, probably due to the ranking in search engines improving.

I've been getting a lot of email about "You're missing the following classic speaker brands" which has got me thinking about sharpening the focus of The Classic Speaker Pages.

Rather than try and cover everything, I think I am going to specialize in "New England Area Speakers" which would include AR, Advent, KLH, Allison, Cizek, Boston Acoustics, and many other manufacturers with deep roots in the New England area audio scene.

What are your thoughts? Nothing major will change on the website, with the exception of a subtitle on the main page which details the focus on New England area manufacturers.

Mark

Guest rickcee

HI I GUESS I QUALIFY AS AN INTERESTED OBSERVER, SO . . . NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT TECH. DETAILS OF RUNNING A SITE . . . I'D PREFER TO KEEP OPEN, TO MAJOR TYPE MANUF. , NOT JUST 'NEW ENGLAND. ' THAT'D BE JBL , INFINITY, EVEN KEF, KLIPSCH , DYNA. THOU I NOTICED THAT 80 % OF RESPONSE IS IN THE AR / KLH GROUP. I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM JBL FANS, FOR

EXAMPLE. ANYWAY. RICK

I'm starting to find out that there already are sites devoted to some of the other (non New England area) speaker manufacturers. Take JBL for example .. I found a few very informative sites last night. Check my links section for "Lansing Heritage" I believe it is. They have links to even more Altec and JBL dedicated sites.

Since this is a personal hobby and not a business, I really need to focus on what we're good at and keep the workload reasonable. ;)

Mark

I see no problem with your idea, except I think a lot of folks would pass by this forum if it were called anyting other than Classic Speaker Pages. I think the name is a big plus. Maybe consider keeping the name and giving a description of the brands your refering to. Does this mean we will have to have a heading for boston acoustic ;-(

Mark,

I can certainly relate to having limited time/resources for hobbies... so narrowing the sites focus is probably a good thing. I'd rather see a more limited site with good information than a broad site with nothing...

As a long time fan of the "East Coast Sound", confining the interest to New England area companies would work fine for me. Were there good sounding speakers made anywhere else? ;-)

Jim.

I'm keeping the name the same .. check out the main page to see the distinction I'm making. When I get links on other sites, I will ask that people add "Specializing on New England area manufacturers" as I have placed under the title on my main page.

I'll be adding a Boston Acoustics section shortly. ;)

Mark

Hey, that's a fine idea. I don't mean to sound flip, but would the site need to include space for the Bose 901? I have old copies of Prof. Bose's published audio experiments, and its all done in the true 1950s New England educated-ear style.

P.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Idea.

When I think of this site my impression is "New England type Sound" from speakers that sound great and who's glory days are long gone. This is certainly true of AR & Advent. They were on the cutting edge in their prime and they are still being re-furbished and listened to even to this day. I also think that if you look at the number of hits each speaker manufacturer gets, it will tell how good that speaker was. So if you did post a "non-classic" the activity would be so low that it would become self evident that it does not belong here.

The other classics that no one (who can hear) will argue with are Klipschorn (probably the only classic still in production), BOSE 901, JBL 100, QUAD ESL63, Karlson and others. But as great as they were (and are), these are fundamentally different speakers. If you let them on you will get endless debates and which usually leads to a lot of name calling. Right now everyone here is pretty much on the same page and helping each other out of a common interest.

• 5 months later...

Glad to see information focusing on the speakers coming out of the Henry Kloss era. Serious mistake to ignore Epicure, even the cheap EPI 90's and 110's not to mention the Towers and 602's.

Archived