New guy, sayin' hi

Guest bolly

Guest bolly

Hello everyone! Had the 9's only about 2 months now and wow! Currently I have them bi-amped with a Yamaha M-80, for the tops. And a Pioneer SPEC2, for the bottoms. Rig also consists of; A Pioneer SPEC1, Kenwood KT-7550 and lastly, a Thorens TD166MKII. I just blew a voice-coil in one 11" woofer, damn! They rest like two sleeping giants, for now.

Greg

post-101218-1110712016.jpg

post-3-1110712016.jpg

Bolly,

Sorry to "hear" that you have a damaged woofer. Chances are any original AR woofer (200003 / 200003-1) you buy will have been re-foamed (re-surrounded) or will need to be.

Instead of buying a replacement woofer, there is a repair option you should consider. Have a reputable speaker repair shop recone your woofer. Reconing involves replacing the voice coil, spider, cone, surround,and braided wires. Depending on where you live, someone on this forum may be able to direct you to a local repair shop. Or, if you search through previous threads, you will find many referrals to Bill Miller in PA.

I had an AR woofer reconed over a year ago by an audio dealer /repair shop in the Atlanta area. It cost around $90 with the bulk (2/3) of that being labor charges. The work was very high quality and the woofer looks and performs great.

I best not say "like new" since there are a few threads discussing, in minute details, the deviations from original performance perameters caused by re-foaming and re-coning. ;-)

Rich

Great system, Greg...I've heard the AR-9 with Pioneer "Spec" equipment, and it sounded really nice. The old Pioneer "Series 20" equipment was also a good match at lower volume levels.

Bill will help you with your woofer problems - I've had many orginal 9 drivers repaired by him, all with excellent results.

I'm surpised that the 8" midrange in your right speaker isn't giving your TV fits - it's magnetic field can have a strong effect on some CRTs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived