AR 10pi question

vintagemiha

Greetings.

I m new member on this great forum with a lot of information. I love sound of acoustic research speakers and I own some of them.

I have question for recommendation for recap ar 10 pi  I would like to use high quality capacitor 2500uf. 

Some time ago I did recap on ar11 and I use for H and M  range Jantzen superior  z-cap  capacitors, and for L range cheaper Jantzen cross cap.

I am very pleased with the result the sound is nice, rich and full of details. My plan is the that I buy the same value Jantzen capacitors like in AR11 for AR10 pi

But it is not clear to me what to use for 2500uf capacitor.  I would ask you for your opinion and your recommendation, on what and how to do it.

I apologize for my poor English

Thank you.

Miha

I used two 1000uf Bennic electrolytic And one 500uf Bennic electrolytic wired in parallel. Film caps of that value would be huge. The Bennic’s weren’t that small. May I suggest you check the original 2500 and see if it has drifted out of spec. 

Hi thank you for recomendation.

If I remember correctly  some time ago some members did use JENSEN capacitors and  delund resistor and mention that they by pas some capacitors, I don't know where to find topic post.

I would like to find that topic.

Maybe if anyone else has any recommendation I would love to hear. 

Thank you.

Thank you Klaus yes tis is old topic I look for.

Klaus I would like to do it like you did it. I'm not sure if i understand exactly how you did it,  please help or can you explain the right way, where and how to place  Jensen capacitor 2700uf and Duelund resistor and how to by-passed it with a 68 myF as well as a 2.2 myF..  I do not have knowledge in electronics,  I have  friend who has a lot of knowledge and will fix it for me, for this I ask you for your guidance.

In the link you sent for Jensen capacitors the page no longer works, I wonder maybe you know where it is possible to get Jensen capacitors.

I apologize for my poor English.

Thank you.

The Link to Jensen Capacitors does not work for me either, they seems to have closed the web-site, but their capacitors are still available through dealers, the 2700 uF however, is probably not, since it was a special made capacitor, not intended for audio.

You just paralellel the capacitors and the resistor like in this schematic

parallel.jpg.3d8bf50746a5aab40fb056c638b75169.jpg

BRgds Klaus

I think film caps would be too large to fit and you'd have to bundle quite a few to get to the desired value. For Non Polar Electrolytic your choices are few. F&T who makes caps for Mundorf and Jantzen don't have the voltage rating in the large sizes - only 35VDC vs the 60VAC for the Callins originals. So from there you have to bundle Bennic, MDL or Parts Express/Black Beauty.