Refoaming in Worcester, MA area?

administrator

I gave a friend a pair of TSW-510's a few years back and the foam has gone on both the mids and woofers. Are there any shops in the Worcester area that do good refoaming work? I'm more concerned with quality work than cost, since I have fond memories of the 510's. ;)

Mark

Hi Mark:

I'm somewhat close. Enfield, CT. I accept Parcel Post work. Refoaming is my specialty. I've done a number of AR3a's, Advent's etc. with many satisfied customers.

I'm not as well known as Miller Sound but am establishing a very good reputation in the Connecticut/W. Mass area.

My work includes surround and dust cap replacement with 8 hrs of break in at resonant frequency. I can also report the Fs if requested.

My rates vary with woofer size.

Carlspeak@aol.com

Guest molecules

I have a general question about refoaming. I own refoamed Advents and refoamed EPI 100's. I also own cloth surround KLH 20, cloth surround KLH 38's and rubber surround EPI's. The refoamed woofers all look to me to feel stiffer than the ones that are still original.

The originals are very compliant, and move easily with light pressure. The also visibly move in and out like crazy when playing music. I remember the cone of the original Advents used to move like crazy. That makes me wonder if refoaming changes the attributes of the woofers.

Isn't the air suspension idea that you reduce the stiffness of the cone suspension and use the cabinet air for support ?

Are now increasing the stiffness of all these cones ?

Dave

>I have a general question about refoaming. I own refoamed

>Advents and refoamed EPI 100's. I also own cloth surround KLH

>20, cloth surround KLH 38's and rubber surround EPI's. The

>refoamed woofers all look to me to feel stiffer than the ones

>that are still original.

>

>The originals are very compliant, and move easily with light

>pressure. The also visibly move in and out like crazy when

>playing music. I remember the cone of the original Advents

>used to move like crazy. That makes me wonder if refoaming

>changes the attributes of the woofers.

>

>Isn't the air suspension idea that you reduce the stiffness of

>the cone suspension and use the cabinet air for support ?

>

>Are now increasing the stiffness of all these cones ?

>

>Dave

>

Dave, I'm not surprised your older woofers move easier than your refoamed woofers. They are most likely older and therefore have played much more music which has a tendency to loosen up whatever suspension surround they have. I generally, check the refoamed woofer's Fs (resonant frequency) after completing a repair to ensure it matches the original specifications for that woofer.

Carlspeak@aol.com

>

Carl

>Are now increasing the stiffness of all these cones ?<

It depends on what was used to refoam them. Mind if we know where you had your drivers refoamed?

Bret

Guest molecules

I used Simply Speakers kits.

Thanks for the answer. It is comforting to know you guys have done measurements to show that we are still hearing the woofers as they were originally desingned. I was worried that all our speakers sounds different than original.

So it is pretty safe to assume that all PU foam was pretty similar ?

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

>I used Simply Speakers kits.<

Your saying this does not surprise me, but I didn't want to lead you.

I have had AR and Cerwin Vega refoam jobs done by SS (they did the whole job, parts & labor). It is my opinion based only on observation and not scientific evidence that their foam surrounds are built like iron, are not the least flexible, and are an incorrect substitute for the original foams.

I've never heard a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers that wouldn't at least grunt, but a pair of CV woofers done by SS turned into immovable objects that couldn't be budged if the Earth shook. The assembled speaker system sounded like one big midrange unit with a piezo making noise on top.

Also, despite a slight difference of opinion about possible causes, a pair of AR woofers I sent to SS for nothing but refoaming came back with their operational parameters all out of whack (as professionally measured).

I suspect the foam.

Bret

Hi Bret,

Which drivers were these, if you don't mind refreshing my memory, I was under the impression that most also got spiders? Just trying to keep the info sorted out.

Also did the CVs just get foam or spiders also?

Pete B

>Also, despite a slight difference of opinion about possible

>causes, a pair of AR woofers I sent to SS for nothing but

>refoaming came back with their operational parameters all out

>of whack (as professionally measured).

>

>I suspect the foam.

>

>Bret

I just thought I'd add that Carl and I are members of the Connecticut Audio Society, I don't know him well other than to say hi at the meetings. Just thought I'd add that several members have without any prompting from me mentioned the excellent work that Carl does. Specific examples were Advent surround and cap upgrade, woofer repairs to a set of expensive B&Ws IIRC it was 802s. Several others have just said Carl's the man if you need speaker repairs or upgrades. Not once did I ask, I don't think they knew that I mostly do my own repairs. Carl strikes me as "old school", do the job right rather than just cranking out the work. It's hard to know who your dealing with these days, especially on the net, so I just thought I'd offer my impression.

Pete B.

>

>Hi Mark:

>I'm somewhat close. Enfield, CT. I accept Parcel Post work.

>Refoaming is my specialty. I've done a number of AR3a's,

>Advent's etc. with many satisfied customers.

>I'm not as well known as Miller Sound but am establishing a

>very good reputation in the Connecticut/W. Mass area.

>My work includes surround and dust cap replacement with 8 hrs

>of break in at resonant frequency. I can also report the Fs if

>requested.

>My rates vary with woofer size.

>Carlspeak@aol.com

Archived