Rectilinear 5 Lab series

300man

I was lucky to find a pair of these a couple of months ago on CL. The original owner was happy that I new what they were and that I was going to give them a good home. They are very solid with good quality walnut veneer. The original woofers were replaced and long gone, but the rest of the drivers are intact and working. I re-caped the crossovers and have been listening to them for a few days. I am impressed with there sound, clear, articulate HF ( always liked the phillips tweeters ) and nice MF with plenty of bass. Going to work on the cosmetics a bit and have to make one grill.

I would highly recommend grabbing a pair of these if they come up in your area at a reasonable price.

I can try to post pictures if there is any interest.

4 hours ago, 300man said:

I can try to post pictures if there is any interest.

Welcome aboard, 300, and yes, we all like pics. Keep files in the 100KB range with a common file format (jpg) and you should be fine. This is a somewhat rare Rectilinear model, just after they abandoned their typical use of Roman numerals to identify their speaker line. This was during the company's fading days, but they still made a few excellent products (like yours). There was both a Rect-5 and a Rect-5a, and I believe all drivers were different from their earlier flagship speaker model, Rectilinear III (tall boys). Really a shame you are missing the original woofers.

If you have pics of the crossover, this might be of interest, too. I'd be curious to see the layout and cap values used for this configuration, but members here also might find it interesting to see that this model used the Aetna-Pollak pots found in so many early AR speakers. 

Here are a couple of pictures, one of the crossover after re-caping and one of the Pollak Pots. The Caps are in the same physical location as the originals and everything else is as found and original except for the cleaning of the Pots. The value of the Caps are    70uf, 10uf and 1.5uf and physically follow the values in size 70uf = largest Cap in the picture.P1010013.thumb.JPG.377444cbd50330713341fbe5387e20fb.JPGP1010034.thumb.JPG.d41007840892a2509a115a1d426bbff3.JPG

Thanks for the pics. Did you ever find out from the previous owner what happened to original woofers? I'm just guessing, but it could be another sad case of tossing them once the original foam surrounds failed.

Attached are two interesting blurbs from October 1975 Hirsch-Houck Labs review from Stereo Review, as well as a frontal pic with original woofers. It's interesting to note that this is an acoustic suspension design, whereas most of the early Rect models were ported bass reflex designs. The notion of individually factory adjusting each of the pot controls to a fixed setting is mentioned in the review, and you can see the red tips (wax?) of the pots in your pics. Does that 7-inch octagonal Phillips driver have rubber surround?....and whizzer cone?

I have a few other Rect 5 documents if interested. 

Rect 5 review 1.jpg

Rect 5 review 2.jpg

Rect 5 frontal.jpg

Yes the 7 inch Phillips has both a rubber surround and a whizzer cone. The original woofers were replaced and apparently tossed away back when replacement surrounds were hard to come by. I have a eye out for originals. Seems the originals for the IIIs come up more often, which have cloth surrounds.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, Pete B said:

What is the correct woofer for this speaker, make and model?

Good question. From photos floating around the interwebs it looks like it is a foam surround or half-roll cloth and it was a acoustic suspension system. If you look at the 1976 driver price list they show the same woofer for the III, the 5 and the 7 which doesn't seem right.

The early III woofers were Jensen and then CTS. The mini III is a CTS and probably the other "little" Rectilinears.

• 3 weeks later...

I have several 12" Rectilinear III woofers with redish cloth edges and ceramic magnets

that I'd like to sell if you are interested.  Where are you located?