My KLH 17 restoration

oldkentuckyshark

Hi.

I’m new here and have a few projects. This is the main one I’m working on now.

When I got these from an estate sale, everything looked original except for the tweeters, which are probably auto parts and are mismatched. At least one of them was poorly/not sealed. Inside, the caps were the red-and-black ones including the weird double 2 µFs.

I replaced all the caps (Solen metallized polypropylene from Madisound) and resistors.

Original tweeters being a bit of a luxury, I read elsewhere that Henry Kloss had recommended the tweeters from Cambridge Ensembles as a substitute. I found a pair of those for relatively cheap on ebay and have cut metal installation plates to fit them into the 17’s larger tweeter opening. (They now have screw holes not shown in the 2nd photo. The 3rd photo is current as I post this.)

The plates are steel and very attracted to the magnet. Could that be a problem?

I read Roy has speaker dope. How do I contact him?

I feel like I should put gaskets between the tweeter and the plate and between the plate and the box. Any suggestions on what to use for that?

Any other thoughts?

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Edited by oldkentuckyshark
Corrected model number

Welcome Shark

Here are some thoughts:

• Those are not Fifteens. Fifteens have two 4" full-range driver and a port. What does it say on the back plate?
  • Replacing resistors is not necessary but they're cheap so no harm done
  • Roy's goo is sold by ebay seller Vintage-AR
  • I was not aware of Kloss's recommendation concerning the tweeter but it makes sense. He also designed the CSW speakers
  • Yes--you do need to seal the tweeter to the plate and the plate to the cabinet. You can use duct seal. It comes in a brick for about $3 in the electrical section of home improvement stores.
  • I personally would have used Masonite or some other non-ferrous material for the adaptor plate but it may not be a problem. Let's see what others say. I’m working with some Audax tweeters now and they appear to have steel faceplates so probably ok.

Kent

Seventeens are very nice speakers. I think you'll enjoy them.

btw, I don't see the surround sealant on the Vintage-AR site. You could send the seller, Larry, a message through ebay or try contacting Roy here http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/profile/101150-royc/ 

E&M?

As I said, the steel may be OK but if you do decide to re-do them I'd use something more rigid and non-resonant that aluminum. Masonite or MDF work and are easy to work with.

Kloss designed a Model Seventeen for CSW but the tweeter appears to be mylar. He also made a Model Six and that looks like a paper tweeter. IIRC the advertising for these models said they were supposed to be modern versions of the original KLH.

I like the old CSW speakers but had a funny experience. I use a pair of "Ambiance by Henry Kloss" speakers as surrounds. They're beautiful little 2-ways made of solid oak with dovetail joints. I had a question and phoned CSW (when they were still in business). The tech support rep told me the Ambiance were ceiling speakers and there was no such thing as what I described. I had to send them photos! Here's some more on those: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/7315-csw-ambiance-mini-monitor-by-henry-kloss/&tab=comments#comment-93369

E&M = Electricity and Magnetism

In photos the CSW 6 tweeter looks very similar to the Ensemble tweeter except for the mounting plate. I can also see the overall resemblance between the CSW 6 and some of the old KLHs. The CSW 17, though, looks much different.

Although I was keen to do some metalwork, you’ve made a good case for masonite. The biggest problem with it is getting to a home improvement store in the current situation. MDF would be too thick.

Nice job on those Ambiances.