Need an amp for 4 ohm speakers?

JKent

I stumbled across a Sonance Sonamp 260 MkII for about $12 at Goodwill last year. Thought I'd found a steal but it turns out they can be had on ebay for $25 - $50 bucks. If you need something to drive 4 (or even 2) ohm speakers this might be for you! Specs and build quality are impressive. It puts out 60wpc RMS into 8 ohms and 100wpc RMS into 4 ohms. Power into 2 ohms is not specified but the amp IS rated for 2 ohms. As soon as I get some ambition I plan to add it to my home theater setup to drive the front speakers, Cizek KA-1's.

So why so cheap? I think most people don't know what it is. Sonamps are typically used for "distributed" power in custom installations but it's just a high current power amp with an "auto on" feature (that can be turned off). It even has L and R level controls but you need a screwdriver to use them. It has a hi-pass filter to roll off the signal below 32Hz but that can be defeated by 2 jumpers on the PCB (I won't bother because I have a separate subwoofer). 

Gotta love a bargain ?

Sonamp back.jpg

Sonamp front.jpg

Sonamp innerds.jpg

No amplifier expert here... but the minimal exterior presentation, robust terminal connections, and interior construction and layout remind me of several Adcom amps I've seen. Good-looking power amp! ....B)....and despite ebay history, you got a real steal there.