AR Powered Partner 570 power supply

ganesan

Hello,

Sorry if this is an annoyingly simple question. I just came across a pair of Acoustic Research Powered Partner 570 speakers. I'm wondering what I'll need to use them in Europe. It says their power requirement is: 120v, 60hz, 70 watts. I'm in Ireland where the power is 240v, 50hz. There's a 14v DC input on each. Do you think getting a pair of 14v DC power supplies will be the easiest way for me to get these to work? Or even 12v? Will amperage matter?

Any help you could give would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Welcome ganesan

Here's the manual. I no longer have the Powered Partners but I think you can plug in 14 VDC power supplies and not use the 120 VAC inputs. Be sure to observe the polarity of the connector.  The (Advent) manual says you can use between 9 and 25VDC with 14 being optimal. The AR brochure says 9-16VDC.

Not sure about amperage. The 14V input was to allow use in your VW Micro bus or the like, so I'm thinking pretty high amps is OK. Here's a brochure http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/special_sections/additional_ar_documents/ar_powered_partner_brochure/

These same speakers were later sold under the Advent and Audiovox and/or Recoton name. Attached manual is from Advent but I'm sure they are identical. The photo is of my AR PPs.

Kent

AV570_Manual.pdf

closeup.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'd recommend using a 120 volt AC  for optimum performance.  The 14 Volt input is primarily for mobile use and specifications are not guaranteed due to dependence on quality of power supply.  ie fully regulated supplies work better than unregulated, but switching regulated supplies might introduce noise problems.