AR3a improved, packaging better than original

Giorgio AR

Reluctantly I sold my AR3a improved from 1974, I had to send them to the buyer and I wanted them to arrive in the same conditions as they were in my house, cabinets as new!
Under document with photo the phases of the packaging, long and laborious.
First the speakers were wrapped in thick paper, then placed in double-wave cartons, with neoprene filling of about 5 cm. thick.
When the cartons were sealed and sealed, I applied additional triple-wave cardboard to the front of the boxes as additional protection for the speakers' grilles.
Then I applied the upper and lower bases, padded with 6 and 5 cm neoprene, protected by double-wave cardboard.
The final sizes of the boxes are 77 x 46 x 44 cm. the speakers inside measure 63.5 x 36.5 x 28.5 cm ..
I think they can fall from about three meters and ensure the integrity of the speakers contained inside!
The last photos show the two boxes stacked next to my 124 special of 1974 (contemporary of the AR3a imp.) And the workers of the shipping company when they came yesterday to pick up the speakers at my house.
I'm sad for the loss, but I hope the gentleman who bought them will enjoy their sound for years ...

Giorgio

imballo 0.jpg

imballo 1.jpg

imballo 2.jpg

imballo 3.jpg

imballo 4.jpg

imballo 5.jpg

imballo 6.jpg

imballo 7.jpg

imballo 8.jpg

imballo 9.jpg

imballo10.jpg

Giorgio your packaging looks bulletproof to me. How far do they have to travel?  Two years ago I let go one of my pairs of AR2a's. They had to ship to Boise ID approximately 1800 miles away. First I wrapped them in 1/8  in. plate wrap.

aUMPUT1l.jpg

Then I placed them in a box completely surrounded by 2 in. thick extruded polystyrene. 

18H6vsYl.jpgRCMcVIbl.jpg

I then placed another box over the top and taped the stuffings out of them. Here they are stored in the garage till they were hauled to the FedEx drop off location.

XfryWaMl.jpgIgiGEqil.jpg

They arrived a few days later unscaved.

Very well IARrybody , apart from minimal differences in the padding material, it seems to me that your packaging is suitable for very demanding shipments ..
My packages made about 350 miles, but once the cartons were unpacked, the speakers were like home before I left!
Their new listener was amazed by the AR3a improved as new.
Congratulations on your passionate packaging work, done by a true AR enthusiast

10 hours ago, lARrybody said:

Giorgio your packaging looks bulletproof to me. How far do they have to travel?  Two years ago I let go one of my pairs of AR2a's. They had to ship to Boise ID approximately 1800 miles away. First I wrapped them in 1/8  in. plate wrap.

aUMPUT1l.jpg

Then I placed them in a box completely surrounded by 2 in. thick extruded polystyrene. 

18H6vsYl.jpgRCMcVIbl.jpg

I then placed another box over the top and taped the stuffings out of them. Here they are stored in the garage till they were hauled to the FedEx drop off location.

XfryWaMl.jpgIgiGEqil.jpg

They arrived a few days later unscaved.

IARybody, I must add that your ex AR2a are splendid.
As I think you know, I currently have a pair of AR2s, a pair of AR2a and a pair of Heathkit AS-2a, these three pairs of speakers are practically always in use, even now that I write, the AR2a are running, connected to an excellent amplifier Philips 521!

Giorgio

Those AR2a's came to me from a co- worker of my middle son in Chicago. His grandfather had left him the 2a's and a excellent H H Scott R77s receiver which I also purchased.  

K6MwvdHm.jpgdrlAwFZm.jpgZU9lzGnm.jpg

I already had a very nice pair of 2a's in the rare Korina veneer and a so-so pair in utility pine cabinets, so I sold these to a guy I know from Audiokarma. It wasn't very long that I had sellers remorse.   Then a couple months later I run across this pair of 2a's. I was alerted to them by a post here from Owelsplace in which he called them "Museum Grade". I was immediately on the phone to the seller and they were on the way here. 

BmB9lXym.jpgZOShdICm.jpgB6s8mY6m.jpg

W8WtyKjm.jpgGtZIQYMm.jpglIhddKwm.jpg

Yes those serial numbers of 552 and 551 are for real. Haven't even hooked them up yet. I guess they are waiting for me to win the lottery so I can open a speaker museum.

Wonderful, the claim of "museum grade" is appropriate.
Here in Italy I gave up some time ago to buy an early pair of AR2ax, with a number of about 200 if I remember correctly (I think the oldest AR2ax pair in the world), very well preserved.
However, as I think you know I now have 17 pairs of Acoustic Research speakers, but the AR2a (also now in operation, I listen to the radio) are the speakers I hear most, along with the AR2s (only woofers plus the pair of AR1MS instead of the double mid / tw).
They are "cheap" speakers for the time, but very balanced and play for hours without bothering the listener. Clearly when compared to AR3a, there is a lot of difference, mainly in the absolute presence of the AR3a bass.