Information desired on my pair of AR10 pi

Claidig

Hi all,

I just got finished reading another thread on here which had a lot of good information on the history and components of the AR 10 pi speakers and would like to get more familiar with the pair I have as far as original parts, date of manufacturing etc.  I will also "hopefully" like to test the capacitors and whatever else needs testing even though these have always sounded great to my untrained ears.

For now I will start with the photos I have on hand...I can get better pictures if needed, the serial numbers (I think) and maybe even the dates on tweeters? in the near future (system is at other home).

If you can identify anything good, bad or ugly about these I would love to hear it.

Thank you.

20170326_225836.jpg

20170326_225905.jpg

20170326_230424.jpg

20170326_230940.jpg

Nice examples. From this distance the drivers look original and and cabinets well preserved with what appear to be original foam grills and new surrounds on the woofers.  There are some 10pi experts here somewhere that can tell you if they are first or second series.  You must already  know the ADD series was made between 1975 and 1979. If you are looking for specific dates, about the only way to know is look on the backs of the drivers if they are are original, which the tweeter and mid appear to be.

Adams

Very beautiful these AR10PI, they seem completely original in all the components, the tweeters should be the A.22, you are very lucky to have the original foam grilles in perfect condition, only the surround foam of the woofers should not be the correct 5/8", but the 1/2" one.

Giorgio

The woofers having been repaired means the speakers have been opened within the last 10 years, at which time they may have been recapped as well.     Just my two cents,  but if they were mine I would not touch them.  The gain from replacing the 1/2 inch foams is not worth the risk of trying to remove and replace them.  You said they sound good to you so, even if you recap you certainly won't get a dramatic difference in sound or perhaps even a clearly perceptible difference.  The biggest difference you will hear will be from experimenting with room placement and equalizer settings.  For example, the position in which you have them pictured is a good one for de-emphasizing bass, in favor of low midrange.   I think the 10pi manual is located in the site library and can tell you more about how to use the bass compensation circuitry which was only on the 10pi.

Adams

With very squinted eyes and pounding head, wanted to pop in and say thank you for the replies so far. Same night I posted this I developed a bad cough, then headache, then bam!  in bed ever since with the worst crud / bronchitis / flu / cold / pneumonia I have had in at least a decade. Can hardly function at a toddlers level right now but that's progress. Just ugh! This is one of the reasons why becoming a recluse is on my bucket list.