AR3a/AR5 Mid Range Driver degradation Question.

Aadams

I have searched the CSP site and can't find evidence of this being previously discussed.  I have read here that AR3 mids somehow become less compliant and have lower output with age, apparently similar to the  3/4" tweeter problem.  My question is:  Does the AR3a mid have a similar weakness that causes its output to noticeably degrade over say the same span of time as the mid of the AR3?

Aadams

I think the basic question you are posing will be understood here, but first you'll need to clarify specifically which mids you wish to compare. Your thread title is not consistent with your text: are you comparing the AR-3a midrange with the AR-3, or the AR-5? 

Fair enough.  Just consider it to be a question regarding the degradation of the 3a mid over time, as compared to the models of AR3 mids that have a history of noticeably degraded performance,  due to breakdown of the physical properties in the  materials used to make them.

Adams

On 7/24/2019 at 7:51 PM, Aadams said:

I have searched the CSP site and can't find evidence of this being previously discussed.  I have read here that AR3 mids somehow become less compliant and have lower output with age, apparently similar to the  3/4" tweeter problem.  My question is:  Does the AR3a mid have a similar weakness that causes its output to noticeably degrade over say the same span of time as the mid of the AR3?

Aadams

No...The issue only applies to AR-3a tweeters, AR-3 mids, and AR-3 tweeters. These drivers have foam suspensions and a rubber based coating over the exposed voice coil gap. AR-3a mids have modern style cloth roll suspensions, which are very different and very stable. They usually either work or they don't. The most common problem is a stress break of a voice coil lead where it goes through the dome.

Roy