Heathkit AS-103a Restoration questions

Moondogtn

Ra.ra, I think that is sort of what I have been wondering about. I see the concept and think it looks great but I don’t see myself as being able to pull anything like that off....I have a plan. I’ll take pics afterwards. Here is current challenging space. I even have two project boxes but they are too large to fit in that space.  

996E3B45-4226-4AE4-BA5E-FBA510A3FAB2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Moondogtn said:

Jkent, Thanks for ideas. I saw those enclosures and they look great but mine are mounted to that aluminum plate and I don’t know what I would fit around them and make fit. I’ll see what I can come up with.....this is what is holding up my project for now....I’ll post a pic this evening to show what I mean by limited space and advice is welcome.

lakecat, I saw those. Something is up with the woofer surrounds for sure. My cabs aren’t in the best shape but I will refinish and hopefully be presentable. Grills are ok but maybe a little faded.  I can’t wait to hear these but holidays and family stuff seem to occupy more and more time. I will finish eventually.  

Bill

The tweeters weren't original either...but glad to the attention and bids on them. I grabbed a mint pair of grills on there this morning for $49. Keepers...:)

14 hours ago, Moondogtn said:

...I think that is sort of what I have been wondering about...

Protecting the open backside of these new pots is one matter, but I urge you to follow the sage advice that Kent has noted in his May 21 post regarding the rear metal plate. In your most recent pic, you can clearly see the rubber isolation washers (referred to by Heathkit as "binding post base insulator") where all three binding posts penetrate the metal plate, and this practice must be followed where the new pots are mechanically fastened to the metal plate. It is a little difficult to understand the entire assembly of these new pots, but because all of the exposed parts of these pots are metal (see pic attached), it would be prudent to use two rubber washers per pot shaft similar to the binding posts (see illustration). 

I do like the robust quality of those foreign pots but have never used them myself. And if interested, I have a copy of the entire Heathkit AS-103 assembly manual - - - it is a great little document with terrific illustrations. If you'd like your own copy, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward a file (1.4MB pdf) to you.

russian pot.jpg

heathkit AS-103 detail.jpg

Just a couple more illustrations from the assembly manual. The schematic is very clearly designated with all pertinent information (including the internal fuse, added by Heathkit); and the individual response curves present a wonderful, if perhaps oversimplified, view that assists an owner in understanding the various drivers' contributions to overall speaker performance. 

Heathkit AS-103 schematic.jpg

Heathkit AS-103 x-o freq.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ra.ra, I have been bad about responding lately.  Holidays, work, family....I downloaded a copy of that assembly manual from someones post here.  I used the rubber washers to insulate but there is really nothing on the pot to make contact with plate. 

Lakecat, I noticed that after the auction was over.  I am glad I passed but certainly wish I could find some original grill cloth.  Mine is just faded enough to tell....they still look good to me. 

This midrange flange was broken terribly during shipping.  I was able to get it back together but she is not pretty.  Looks have not ever been the strong suit of these drivers so....function, not fashion.  It works.

I was able to get one completed and it sounds sweet. 

The other is just waiting for me to reinstall everything.  I picked up some zinc screws at home depot just to mount drivers and be able to listen to them.  The black oxide coated screws I am still working on locating.   I found some on amazon but I don't need 2000 so trying to find an alternate source.  Some panhead on ebay for about 12 bucks shipped for 50 seems fair.  I will go that route unless someone has suggestions.

I will try to get some better pics later. 

Bill

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg