Allison One woofers, original production vs. latest production

Chris1this1

I picked up a pair of ones made in 1979. Each speaker has one original production woofer and one late production woofer. Odd thing is that the late production woofer is producing more output than the original woofer. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the original woofers. 

DCR measures very close between both woofer styles. Can anyone comment on this?

5 hours ago, Chris1this1 said:

I picked up a pair of ones made in 1979. Each speaker has one original production woofer and one late production woofer. Odd thing is that the late production woofer is producing more output than the original woofer. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the original woofers. 

DCR measures very close between both woofer styles. Can anyone comment on this?

I had the same, but only in one cabinet.

It ruined the bass in that one cab. For me and if I were keeping those systems, I would have replaced the newer woofer with an original most likely From EBay.

The main reason I never bothered was because I had begun using the Ones with a Subwoofer. The 80 hz. Crossover point eliminates the issue and further with the speakers set to small in the processor settings.

I still have one of those new generation woofers unused in a box going back to 2000.

Bill

Bill, interesting to hear the bass was compromised when the woofers were mixed. Since the mixed woofers are in both cabinets, perhaps they both of mine are compromised. Based on this, my best solution is to put the pair of newer woofs in one cab and the pair of original in the other. Let’s see what happens....

5 hours ago, Chris1this1 said:

Bill, interesting to hear the bass was compromised when the woofers were mixed. Since the mixed woofers are in both cabinets, perhaps they both of mine are compromised. Based on this, my best solution is to put the pair of newer woofs in one cab and the pair of original in the other. Let’s see what happens....

Chris,

When you do that, try to have a second pair of gaskets at the ready.

Those new woofers fit ok in the newer cabinet from reincarnated Allison Acoustics, but I heard from others that installing a pair in your cabs has the magnets banging into each other for lack of clearance. Supposedly doubling up the gasket solves that.

Maybe that’s why yours are how they are (the other guy didn’t know?)

Bill

Archived