200003 AR 12" woofer vs 1210003-2A TNG 12" woofer

Giorgio AR

HI Giorgio, those are great pics to show the subtle variations - - - it looks like there are minor differences in the magnet assemblies and the basket profiles and wiring terminals, but basically these drivers otherwise appear nearly identical. DavidR's question is what we all want to know, but I also wanted to mention that you misidentified the Tonegen woofer - - it should read part number 1210003 (-2A) - - - the "3" part is important since it correlates with the 12" woofer. 

Also, are those AR tweeters mounted on your wall next to the Jefferson Airplane album cover?

4 hours ago, ra.ra said:

HI Giorgio, those are great pics to show the subtle variations - - - it looks like there are minor differences in the magnet assemblies and the basket profiles and wiring terminals, but basically these drivers otherwise appear nearly identical. DavidR's question is what we all want to know, but I also wanted to mention that you misidentified the Tonegen woofer - - it should read part number 1210003 (-2A) - - - the "3" part is important since it correlates with the 12" woofer. 

Also, are those AR tweeters mounted on your wall next to the Jefferson Airplane album cover?

Thanks ra.ra, I corrected the title (I did not realize the omission of the identification number of the woofer TNG)
On the left wall there are 2 cones (fullrange) Lafayette circa '72, on the wall on the right 3 Philips cones

8 hours ago, DavidR said:

What are your impressions between the two woofers?

Apart from the physical and aesthetic differences between the 2 woofers, there are also differences in the sound.
I'm not a technician, but according to me (I hope to describe well my feelings) the bass TNG is softer than AR, I also think it is slightly less present as total amount perceived during listening (the explanation is not the best, but I think there are other more qualified people to better describe the differences between the 2 types of woofers) ...

Giorgio

• 8 months later...

I add the weight measurements of the two types of woofers:
On the left in the photos the TNG woofer with a weight of 4.9 kg, on the right the AR 200003 woofer with a weight of 5,6 kg: a difference of 0.7kg, practically all to be attributed to an oversizing of the magnet of the original AR woofer!

Giorgio

tng1.jpg

tng2.jpg

• Giorgio AR changed the title to 200003 AR 12" woofer vs 1210003-2A TNG 12" woofer
On 1/7/2019 at 3:10 AM, ra.ra said:

Ra.Ra I corrected the title again with the correct diction of the 12 "TNG woofer: 1210003-2A, I realized today that there was still an error in the title !!!

Ciao Giorgio.