Need Help Identifying a pair of ARS Speakers

I purchased these ARS speakers at a Thrift Store and they sound wonderful but I can't find out anything about them. There is a marking that shows 8 ohms, and looks like Japan 801 or maybe 901 and they have have a ARS tag on the front. The grills dont' come off the front but have screwed on wooden backs. I pulled one back off and they are well made made with heavy duty insulation inside, but no numbers inside that I could see. They are bookshelf size speakers. They do not have speaker connections on the back but have speaker wire running out a grommet on the back. Any help identifying or info about possible value would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

20180707_173453_sm.jpg

20180707_173505_sm.jpg

20180707_173514_sm.jpg

Hi Walt,

This is a forum for made-in-USA AR (Acoustic Research ) speakers, and your speakers are something altogether different. Although there appears to be scant information online about any ARS product, there is a pair on the auction site right now which appear to be somewhat less substantial than the pair you've shown here, but little information is provided in the listing. Pic attached below.

Sorry I am unable to be of further assistance.  

ARS speakers.jpg

3 hours ago, Walt said:

I purchased these ARS speakers at a Thrift Store and they sound wonderful but I can't find out anything about them. There is a marking that shows 8 ohms, and looks like Japan 801 or maybe 901 and they have have a ARS tag on the front. The grills dont' come off the front but have screwed on wooden backs. I pulled one back off and they are well made made with heavy duty insulation inside, but no numbers inside that I could see. They are bookshelf size speakers. They do not have speaker connections on the back but have speaker wire running out a grommet on the back. Any help identifying or info about possible value would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

20180707_173453_sm.jpg

20180707_173505_sm.jpg

20180707_173514_sm.jpg

Hello Walt,

What you've found is a pair of speakers that was part of a shelf system sold by Allied Radio Shack in 1972.

The picture below was obtained from this site:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

Lots of early hi-fi memories there.

RS1972.jpg

Jeff, Thank you so much for the information! I never put Allied Radio Shack together. I actually worked for Radio Shack back in the mid-70s installing car stereos. Well, mystery solved. Thanks so much! Walt

Jeff, that is some great sleuthing, finding the Allied Radio Shack designation. I did find one other source that mentioned Radio Shack which showed a slightly different badge insignia (see attached), but there was not sufficient information for me to want to post such a weak lead.   

ARS.jpg

Archived