About To Join The Fray

JP267

Hi everyone,

Been doing some reading on Allison speakers because I'm picking up my first pair today!  They're refoamed Model 5's. One of the grills is broken which I've heard is common. And I'm told there's a slight dimple in one of the tweeters. The cabinets are absolutely perfect. They look amazing. My question is.. does $225 for the pair sound reasonable? It seems it to me, but wanted to get the experts take.

The only vintage speakers I own currently are some EPI A70s so this is new territory for me. I just purchased a 1968ish AR Ax turntable and am hoping the Allison's will be a good match. I'm running a single ended class A tube amp, but I don't think it has enough power to drive them. It only outputs 8w per channel stereo at 4Ω. So I may be in the market for a new amplifier. Too bad

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and ask my question. Thanks for all the contributers here! Some great info. Hopefully one day I will be one.

Thanks in advance! 

Joe

You can run the 5 with 30 Watts per channel and be just fine.

Price sounds ok if all 4 drivers play without distortion.

Luck of the draw today.....one guy came up with the big A1’s for 50 bucks, that were in a place where the owner simply wanted them out of there. Library or shop if I recall.

Bill

Archived