AR3a cabinet restoring

daniferfer

How can I get a pair of AR3a speakers repaired?, they have some dents in the corners and grills plastic frames are broken, if you cab please contact me thru daniferfer@hotmail.com

thanks

Daniel F

The grille frames can be repaired with epoxy. Sometimes I'll put a small strip of wood across the crack and epoxy that to the grille. Corner dents can be lifted with a hot iron and wet cloth if the wood fibers have not been crushed. Kent is very good at building up seriously damaged corners so maybe he'll come along.

If you can post photos we can see the damage and perhaps offer better advice.

Photos would be great. If the damage is bad enough, I sometimes go under the dent with a knife and pry it up, and then fill the gap with wood glue. Once it's set, I fill it in with Elmer's Walnut Wood Filler. You have to line things up so you can sand it smooth later. Don't plastic grille frames suggest earlier AR-3s?

How can I get a pair of AR3a speakers repaired?

"Get" them repaired does not sound like a DIY question. Let us know where you are and maybe a helpful member can fix them.

OTOH, if you DO want to fix them yourself I can recommend 2 methods for corner bashes. In any case I think you want to use epoxy because of its strength. I use either 2-part epoxy or JB Weld's product JB Wood. In either case it has to be tinted and the best method is Mixol Tobacco #22 (thank you John O'Hanlon). I make a dam of tape and cardboard and pour the tinted poxy in. If you can pry up some fibers as Horse describes, all the better. If you look at the following thread, post #1, you'll see before & after shots of my AR-3 cab that had one badly bashed corner: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6284

The other method, which Roy C swears by, is Mohawk epoxy sticks. See this thread: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7787&hl=mohawk#entry96930

Kent

Nice job, Kent! I enjoy corners like the one you showed. I guess the main thing is to make them structurally sound, and then worry about cosmetics. I have some pretty nice walnut veneer here, so once I've built things up, I try to cut the new veneer in such a way as to make it look like any edges are part of the grain. My method of color matching involves red mahogany stain and various stain pens. It's an enjoyable challenge that generally extends over several days or even weeks.

Archived