"On Hold" - Vintage AR Tweeters & Woofers

minnesotatv

For sale

Pair of original AR tweeters. Removed from a sequential pair of
 AR17 speakers (Teledyne era). These tweeters were used in
 several AR models. Tweeters look good and are in working
 condition - on my meter DCR of one measures 4.6 ohms, and
 the other measures 4.8 ohms. $60 + shipping if needed.

Also,
 Pair of original AR 8in Woofers. Removed from a sequential pair
 of AR17 speakers (Teledyne era). These woofers were used in
 the highly regarded AR18 too. Woofers look good and are in
 working condition - on my meter DCR of both measures 4.9 ohms.
 Surrounds were professionally replaced a few years ago.
 $60 + shipping if needed.

Located in a northern suburb of St. Paul, MN. Local pickup okay.

AR Tweeters 1.JPG

AR Tweeters 2.JPG

AR 8in Woofers 1 .JPG

AR 8in Woofers 2 .JPG

AR 8in Woofers 3 .JPG

3 hours ago, minnesotatv said:

Removed from a sequential pair of AR17 speakers...

Hi MNTV,

Woofs/tweets look great, and pics suggest an appropriately respectful way to handle these drivers, but would like to know why you are selling these separate from the AR-17 cabinets, grilles, and crossovers. In other words, what is the basis for selling these as selected parts only? 

Sure.  My thinking for parting them out is simply that it might be easier to sell the parts than the complete loudspeakers.  And would most likely be less costly to ship. 

My experience with the local market is that many buyers aren't interested in vintage gear. Because the cabinets are a little rough I think they wouldn't "show" well.  There are some scratches and dings in the wood, holes in the back where there were hangers mounted for hanging them on the wall of the church office.   And some staples in the baffle where they stapled some kind of cover over the drivers, and then for some reason removed it. (Grilles were gone when I got them.)

As complete loudspeakers they sound good, but do need to be re-capped.  If someone was interested in buying the pair complete, something could probably be arranged.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, ra.ra said:

Hi MNTV,

Woofs/tweets look great, and pics suggest an appropriately respectful way to handle these drivers, but would like to know why you are selling these separate from the AR-17 cabinets, grilles, and crossovers. In other words, what is the basis for selling these as selected parts only? 

Well established phenomena (sadly) that in in most instances, cannibalizing systems and selling off individual drivers and parts nets a greater profit than selling the whole system

Also negates the expense, risks and hassles of packing and shipping if you use epay or can't/don't want to wait on  finding a local buyer

Extremely common (is the case) with all things, ESPECIALLY legacy (read: "real") JBL

NOT implying that this is the case or motive with this poster, minnesotatvbut it is standard practice with the majority of (regular) on-line sellers dealing in classic speakers 

Just take a cursory look at epay listings for any well regarded model from the classic erea and do the arithmetic

You'll find 3 to 1 components versus complete systems for most models - including gutted cabinets

Craig

Archived