OLA WALNUT CABINETS MODIFIED!!!

ITCHIJO

GENTLEMAN: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL WHO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS ON SUNDAY 01/07/2018!!! MY NEW CHALLENGES ARE HAVING TOO DEAL WITH A MODIFIED SET OF OLA WALNUT CABINETS THAT HAVE BEEN PORTED IN THE RIGHT REAR OF THE CABINETS, WHEN LOOKING AT THEM FACE ON. PRETTY BIG TASK AT HAND TO MAKE THE CABINETS SEALED PROPERLY AND RESTORE THEM BACK TO OEM STATUS. LOOKING FOR ANY EXPERIENCED CRAFTSMANSHIP AND GUIDANCE FOR THIS PROJECT, PLEASE??? SHOULD THE CABINETS BE INTERNALLY SEALED AND JUST LEAVE THE ORIFICE EXPOSED LOOKING FROM THE REAR OF THE CABINETS??? OR SHOULD I GET INVOLVED WITH FILLING THE ORIFICE WITH A CUTOUT OF WOOD AND FILL IN WITH A WOOD FILLER WHILE ALSO SEALING THE INSIDE OF THE CABINETS??? I AM HOPING NOT TO HAVE TOO TRACK DOWN "BOB VEELA" FOR THIS PROJECT!!! ANY EXPERIENCE IN RESTORATION OF SPEAKER CABINETS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, AND THANKS!!!

Hate when I buy anything where some prior genius thought he was smarter than the engineers that put it together... had a 1974 Datsun 260Z that some prior owner decied to hack it into a 1970 240Z. Not fun sorting that mess out...  Then there are the Advents with horns that have been cobbled together, ending their usefulness...

Any way,, quick and simple fix is to have one - I would do 2 - pieces of wood cut oversize of the port hole, then glue the "wood patch" over the hole.

Be great if you can glue the second piece from the inside of cabinet, then a patch glued from the outside over the hole.

Ge generous with the glue all around the edges of the patch(es) as you want it sealed tight and with no resonance once the speaker is put together.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:11 AM, nfafan said:

Hate when I buy anything where some prior genius thought he was smarter than the engineers that put it together... had a 1974 Datsun 260Z that some prior owner decied to hack it into a 1970 240Z. Not fun sorting that mess out...  Then there are the Advents with horns that have been cobbled together, ending their usefulness...

Any way,, quick and simple fix is to have one - I would do 2 - pieces of wood cut oversize of the port hole, then glue the "wood patch" over the hole.

Be great if you can glue the second piece from the inside of cabinet, then a patch glued from the outside over the hole.

Ge generous with the glue all around the edges of the patch(es) as you want it sealed tight and with no resonance once the speaker is put together.

That's why I don't buy junk anymore

Still plenty of nice examples out there (cars and speakers) if you are willing to peel off the bills

Saves you headaches AND money over the long game

I had to learn this the hard way : - (

Craig

Archived