AR-90 Tweeters mismatched?

Guest bweinel

Guest bweinel

Well, After letting my AR-90s collect dust for about ten years I finally got around to refoaming the woofers and lower mids this week and made a somewhat concerning discovery... I found that the 3/4" tweeters in my units are apparently mismatched. One is a 1200029-1 and the other is a 1200011-1. Since I am the original owner of these units and have never replaced one, I can only assume that it must have happened at the dealership before I purchased my speakers.

(These units were floor demonstrators at the showroom where I purchased them... so its quite possible that they were damaged and repaired prior to my pruchasing them.) I pretty sure that the 1200029-1 is the original part number and the 1200011-1 is a replacement unit as it is labled with the red "replacement unit" warranty tag on the back as others have described here. I guess the real questions I have are twofold: (1)Is the 1200011-1 tweeter a correct replacement unit for this speaker or, as I suspect, did someone just stick in a part that they had on hand to fix a bad tweeter? and then (2)Where can I find a 1200029-1 tweeter to match my original and get the speakers back to a matched set?

In message #2710, Tom Tyson discussed these two tweeters. His response to me is quoted below:

Written by Tom Tyson:

"Well, as you know, the AR #200029-1 is the 4-ohm, 3/4-inch-dome .tweeter designed for the AR-9, 90, 91, 92 and 915, and it was optimized for the 7 KHz. AR-9 crossover. The AR-91, for example, has a 7.5 KHz crossover. The tweeter has a 2 KHz fundamental resonance (well below its operating range), and has a ferro-fluid voice coil. The magnetic circuit has a total flux of 21,000 maxwells and a flux density of 18,000 gauss, but these figures are largely meaningless to anyone other than a speaker designer. It also has a recessed "horn" of sorts that increases the efficiency at the higher frequencies, but very slightly decreases off-axis dispersion at the highest frequencies compared to the flush-mounted tweeters.

The AR #200011-1 was an earlier design, 3/4-inch-dome, treated-fabric, flush-mounted designed for the AR-10Pi and AR-11. I am not certain if the earliest versions (brownish-orange) of this tweeter had ferro-fluid cooling; later "B" versions definitely did. Just as with the AR-9 tweeter, it is also a 4-ohm tweeter, has the 2 KHz resonance, same magnet assembly, but operates at a 5 KHz crossover.

In the end, therefore, the two are not really interchangeable -- despite the similarities -- any more than the AR-10Pi tweeter is interchangeable with the AR-3a tweeter.

--Tom Tyson"

Hope that was some help.

Bret

Guest bweinel

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the reply and the repost of Tom's original message on the AR-90 tweeters. That actually helped quite a bit and confirmed my earlier thoughts as to it being an incorrect substitute for the original. The 200011-1 in my speaker is the brownish-orange design. After closely listening to them tonight with a variety of music, I can definitely say that the two do not sound the same. The speaker with the 200011-1 seems to have a muddier sound than the speaker with the 200029-1.

As to why it was used as a replacement in the AR-90 for the original part number, I am still not sure. Could have been a cost saving measure (i.e.: they had that model on hand already.. or AR wasn't making the exact replacement anymore and the 200011-1 was specified as being the closest replacement. I have seen this happen in the radio/electronics business in other areas where vendors, in order to cut inventory and manufacturing costs, use generalized replacement parts.)

I guess now I will need to see if I can locate a source for the 200029-1 tweeter so I can get a matched set.

Many thanks for the reply.

-Bill

>The 200011-1 in my speaker is the brownish-orange design.<

Bill, that's a rarity and if you had two of them would be quite a pair to have.

As far as I know those were ONLY used in early production AR-10pi's and haven't been available for a long, long time.

eBay has been the best place to get the replacement for the 200029-1s I've found. They seem to be a lot more common than the 200011-1 particularly if that's the one I think it is.

Look in the Forum library and download the 10pi brochure and see if that looks like the tweeter you have.

Bret

>As to why it was used as a replacement in the AR-90 for the original part number, I am still not sure.<

For the same reason you climb a mountain; Because it's there.

I suspect it was what was "in the back" when they needed a tweeter.

Bret

Archived