AR 4X tweeter issues

Gogiants

Hi GG, and welcome to the forum. You'll need to describe what you are applying pressure on - - is it the rear tweeter control or the tweeter cone perimeter, or something else? Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. :blink:

Someone with more surgical experience than me should be able to assist, but here's the only pic I have of this driver disassembled. It is very common for the paper cone perimeter to come loose from the metal face plate (see typical line of rust in pic), but I'm not sure how the electrical connection is transferred from the green/yellow wire terminals to the voice coil.

AR-4x tweeter innards.jpg

I have the same ring of rust...lol. I didn't see any way to disassemble the driver though. Yes, there seems to be some connection problem to the voice coil. It not connecting to make sound. I'll have to look at it again to see if I can take it apart. On a happier note. ..the speakers sound great when they both work.

I couldn't get the tweeter to work so I pulled one of similar size from a KLH model 17 I had in my bone yard. Had to open up the hole just slightly on the 4X box. These are some very good vintage speakers. I'm powering them with a Sony STR 5 receiver and they sound very nice indeed. I will recover these with some new loose weave linen and keep them in the rotation for a while in my spare bedroom. 

Sorry I couldn't help more with tweeter disassembly - - the pic was not my own work, just an image I cribbed from another thread. And if you've now replaced with a KLH tweeter, not sure I can help there either since I'm not familiar with that model - -  it's quite possible it might "work" OK, but it also might be best served with a crossover modification of some sort.

It's ok ra.ra. The replacement tweeter sounds great. The KLH 17's are from the same era and I can't tell any difference in sound quality. Just don't tell Roy Allison that I used a Henry Kloss tweeter....lol. Both genius pioneers of quality audio as I'm sure you already know. Regarding the sound of the AR 4X, they image like crazy...I love em and will keep them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Phxjohn, it's not clear what you are referring to here - - - IMO, this thread was not fully resolved. The OP had an intermittent original tweeter; minimal attempts to correct the problem were unsatisfactory to the owner, which led to Plan B; he ditched the originals and replaced with drivers from another manufacturer, which also required cabinet modifications.

I am not familiar with the KLH Seventeen and its capacitor components or crossover frequency, but the AR-4x uses an unusually large value cap (20uF) for a simple two-way speaker, so it would be my guess that any replacement of the tweeter with a non-original would most likely best be served with a corresponding tweak of the crossover circuitry. 

The KLH tweeter just might sound fine, so this is by no means a criticism of the OP's attempts to partially salvage his AR's, but then again, they are really not AR-4x's anymore.

7 hours ago, Phxjohn said:

that correct replacements are available from Vintage AR

OK, I understand now, and yes, you are correct that Vintage AR often carries for sale many excellent replacement drivers for older AR speaker products. This tweeter was also found in some (not-so-common and very rare) versions of the AR-2x and AR-1x, but it's just generally know as the 4x tweet.

Re: the OP's project, I'd be curious to know if the non-circular KLH tweeter drops into the circular recess in the 4x baffle the way it does with the original KLH installation (see pics); also, am wondering if the screw holes align with original T-nuts. From this schematic, it can be can seen that the KLH tweeter was not intended to be associated with the 20 uF cap value provided in the AR-4x.

KLH 17 schematic.jpg

KLH 17 x2.jpg

Archived