AR5 10" Factory replacement woofer

jimorf735

I am restoring a pair of AR 5s and find the (factory replacement) woofers have a 1 ohm sand cast resistor attached. Is it necessary or a modification the previous owner may have made? 

13 hours ago, jimorf735 said:

I am restoring a pair of AR 5s and find the (factory replacement) woofers have a 1 ohm sand cast resistor attached. Is it necessary or a modification the previous owner may have made? 

AR did a variety of things to make later replacement drivers work more satisfactorily with older models. The later 10 inch woofer was more sensitive than the original, so the added resistor would have been a way to calm it down a bit.

Roy

Oh.....and do you know if that is in series or parallel? I removed the speakers several months ago and have forgotten how they were wired. Duh! I know, I know, I should have paid closer attention and made a note. Certainly a mental note would not have helped.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:46 AM, jimorf735 said:

Oh.....and do you know if that is in series or parallel? I removed the speakers several months ago and have forgotten how they were wired. Duh! I know, I know, I should have paid closer attention and made a note. Certainly a mental note would not have helped.

It would have to be in series, Jim.

Archived