How to repair chipboard water marks

iso

This issue is not strictly AR-related... but may interest you too. My former employee who used to import AR- and BA-speakers did also import Carlsson speakers made in mid 80`s.

I bought this pair few times ago. One cab has suffered from water damage and particleboard is like in the second picture. Loudspeaker base is sound and not swelled but looks a bit ugly...any ideas how to improve looks without using paint to hide watermarks?

Direct vs. reflected sound issue has been discussed AR-forum quite often. Stig Carlsson published ideas behind his "Ortho-Acoustic"-series speakers.  https://www.carlssonplanet.com/en/download/carlsson-ortho-acoustic-loudspeakers-design-and-performance-principles-english/  This is quite long summary about design principles, but it may interest some of you.

Kimmo

New_1_DSCF3053.JPG

New_1_DSCF3021.JPG

I'd dye it instead of painting it. Use an alcohol-based stain, rather than a water-based. Wood finishing products are labeled "NGR" (non grain raising). You can also buy smaller bottles of alcohol based dye from leathercraft stores.

Archived