Acoustic Research AR 8-BT

Hi All. New to the forum. Searching under AR-8 I could not find anything. I'm looking for specs on the AR 8-BT version of the AR 8 Series.The Zip History Doesn't seem to cover it. It is a 6.5" woofer, as opposed to the AR-8Bx which is listed as a 6" Woofer?

My main question which is in none of the tables, is "power rating". While, if you clip your amp, you'll destroy ANYTHING, I'm curious on what the rating was for these speakers from AR directly. 

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome, Bill.

Am not familar with the 8T, but here's info on other "8" models.

Are you talking about these cute little guys (see pic below)? This is the AR-8s, and I'm not certain, but it may have only been offered in Europe. If so check out these threads.

AR-8s.jpg

AR-8B, 8bx, 8bxi.jpg

OK, got it, thx for pics, Bill. That speaker is simply referred to as the AR-8B (no "T" in model number). The "T' is simply part of the serial number cataloguing.

You'll find the catalog page here - - it's a little difficult to read the fine print, but it looks like it says either 10 or 20 watts minimum. I've had the slightly larger 18B and 28B - - - great tweeter in these, relatively easy to power, and it'd be interesting to hear the smaller 8B's. I think I've seen this before, but what I find interesting about your pair is that they are clad in faux oak, rather than the more familiar faux walnut

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/post-classic_series_1981-19/post-classic_series_brochur/ar_ls_b_series_brochure/ar_ls_b_series_brochure_pg4.html

17 hours ago, ra.ra said:

OK, got it, thx for pics, Bill. That speaker is simply referred to as the AR-8B (no "T" in model number). The "T' is simply part of the serial number cataloguing.

You'll find the catalog page here - - it's a little difficult to read the fine print, but it looks like it says either 10 or 20 watts minimum. I've had the slightly larger 18B and 28B - - - great tweeter in these, relatively easy to power, and it'd be interesting to hear the smaller 8B's. I think I've seen this before, but what I find interesting about your pair is that they are clad in faux oak, rather than the more familiar faux walnut

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/post-classic_series_1981-19/post-classic_series_brochur/ar_ls_b_series_brochure/ar_ls_b_series_brochure_pg4.html

if you look at all the "B" series models, they all have vinyl clad oak finish to them.....

Hi Mi-pat,

Your comment prompted me to re-evaluate my previous statement and actually, I think that maybe we were both incorrect. Although it is difficult to read the fine print of the document in the library, I believe it states that the larger models (58B, 48B and 38B) were available only in faux walnut, while the smaller models (28B, 18B and 8B) were offered in either walnut or oak.  

you may be right, but all of the 38, 48, and 58B's I've seen on fleabay have a lighter than typical walnut finish to them, and look more "golden oak" as far as color tone....

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to see others in oak - - - I'm just citing the company literature and I've only got limited experience with the smaller two-ways from this series, and they were both walnut, which is what prompted my initial observation.

While I've never much cared much for the styling and build quality of this series, to the best of my knowledge the drivers and x-o components are typically very good, and these "B" speakers tend to fly under the radar a bit and can still offer a very good value.  

Apparently, a very rare third option that was offered was the "invisible" veneer, as shown on this AR-48B. :P

AR-48B view.jpg

Archived