Advice wanted for AR-4

Shaun B

Wouldn't that be adding unnecessary weight to a cone stifling its intended action of moving freely with-in the confines of its design and also adversely affecting its frequency response over all as it seems as though it would.

If one must think that they have to go that far, why not seek out another used raw speaker and start fresh from that point?

FM

6 hours ago, JKent said:
Seems the paper cones have become brittle with the extreme heat.

(Note: apologies for disjointed dialog - - - quote and editing functions were giving me fits tonight.)

5 hours ago, JKent said:

Seems the paper cones have become brittle with the extreme heat.

Agreed, when Shaun mentioned puffing dust, I suspected maybe a digit or two punched right through the paper cone that had been attic-baking for twenty years. And melting metal.....huh?

5 hours ago, JKent said:

John, of M-Sound, suggested that for those who wanted a "wet look" speaker cone

Yes, I remember seeing this, too, in M-Sound's instruction sheets, but the comment seemed to be based only regarding the woofer's "looks" with no mention of the effect, if any, on "performance". Still, if there was a method for reinforcing the brittle cone with a light coating of something that did not have an obvious detriment to performance, this idea might be a successful approach to giving an extended life to the original woofers. And, I'd agree that Aileene's (the white glue, but not the clear) seems to have characteristics very much like M-Sound's easy-to-use adhesive, whether or not it might be the preferred coating substance.   

3 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Wouldn't that be adding unnecessary weight to a cone

That would be my initial concern as well, but since these particular woofers are rather rare, I think the primary objective would be to try to salvage the original driver, even if there becomes a slight deviation from original performance specs, which, of course, we'll never be able to measure and compare since these woofers are now all 50 years past "new". Until we know the extent of the cone damage, this is all speculation anyway, or mere food for thought, and if indeed the damage situation is not able to be salvaged, the far more plentiful AR-4x woofer would probably serve adequately in a pinch as a replacement, but this move would severely diminish the collectible value of the OP's AR-4's.  

The damaged woofer I posted previously, which met the mean end of a screwdriver in a dark alley, has been patched to the best of my skills and is performing exceedingly well, even with the obvious scar as shown.

AR-4 woofer tear.jpg

9 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Wouldn't that be adding unnecessary weight to a cone stifling its intended action of moving freely with-in the confines of its design...

That is probably true, but think of it like the glue solution painted over the cone is just adding back some weight after years of baking in that attic, with inevitable loss of moisture from the cone, making it so brittle. The cone is nowhere near its original spec and weight as it is. I think it may be a reasonable way to salvage the cone.

Archived