AR-2ax restoration - going well, except......

Robthomp

Hi,

I am not new to electronics or audio but I am new to vintage speaker restoration.  I decided to restore my brother's AR-2ax speakers, from around 1970. I've always loved those speakers.  Somehow they ended up in my attic. 

After reading the "Restoring the AR-3a" guide, and a lot of other websites, I got started. Things are going well, the woofers need new foam of course, but the pots aren't that corroded.  All the drivers test correctly with an ohmmeter, so I don't suspect any problems with the voice coils.   But I did notice one tweeter dome was dented (see pic).  It wasn't clear to me whether that would have a significant effect on the sound, but I just couldn't let it go.  So I tried to fix it. First I tried several 'benign' tricks, like the vacuum cleaner, the drinking straw, tape, etc. but none of this made the dent budge. The dome is too stiff. So then I stupidly tried something more invasive - I wet the paper, and went at it with a sewing needle.  Well, all I accomplished was a 5 mm gash in the dome (see second pic).

What are my options now?  I know these tweeters are hard to replace. Can something like this be repaired?  I've read about the HiVi Q1R, maybe I should go that route.  What are your opinions? The other tweeter is fine.

Thanks. This is a great forum.  

Rob

gash.JPG

dent.JPG

you could try find a dead one with a good dome and glue it over your broken dome....might affect output a bit as you'd be nearly doubling the domes mass.....

Michiganpat,

Thanks for the interesting suggestion.  Here's a naive question which will reveal what a newbie I really am (as if that's not already apparent): if I found a dead one with a good dome, and removed that dome to use as a 'spare part', instead of gluing it over my damaged dome, is it possible to remove my damaged dome and replace it with the good one?

the dome is attached to the voice coil, which has the leads that go to the spring terminals, and the whole assembly is held on with the 3 foam dots.  replicating all of that would probably be beyond your (or my) skill level....

there is a dude on here who fixed bad 2ax/3a tweeters by replacing the voice coil, and has developed a foam that closely matches the original foam suspension.  might want to contact him to see if he has a stash of good domes that he could rebuild your tweet

see thread here:

Archived